Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My name is Tom and I owned Mustangs most of my life until 1999 when I traded my 1993 Cobra for a 2000 Corvette with the handling package. A couple of years later I bought a 2002 Z06. I drove it and in 2005 I purchased a C6. I ended up liking the 02 Z06 better (better handling) and unloaded the C5.

In 2008 I bought a 2007 C6 Z06 and thought I would own that car for quite some time. Then GM had some barn sales on ZR-1's and I ended up with a brand new 2010 ZR-1.

That is my current ride and I simply love it!

My dilemma is this, I have two kids that are starting elementary school. I have been able to get by with our other car being a minivan up to now, but I'm starting to REALLY need to look into a car with a back seat...

Other than the KR 500, I'm not sure there is anything out there that would keep me from feeling like I had made a big step down in performance. I do live in the mountains so handling is a big deal to me, but I also want to plant the throttle and hang on for dear life.

I could buy a cheap used explorer sport trac and have a five seater and a truck, and keep my ZR-1 but the truck would have to be parked outside, my wife isn't thrilled about that.

I bought the car with zero down and zero percent financing, so I am fairly right side up on the loan, probably 20k up on the car, but I also know the ZR-1 might be hard to unload. I have dealer friends that'll can probably sell it at auction and get a fair, but less than retail, price for it.

TL/DR;

So my questions are as follows.

1. Have any of you driven both or have any experience with the ZR-1 and KR-500 to know if I will be miserable in the mustang? I'm fairly open to observations here...

2. On corvette forum, there is a list of dealers who usually are offering extremely GOOD deals on Corvettes. I bought my ZR-1 from a dealer on the site for about $107k out the door. Because there are several dealers there that compete aggressively. Is there a place like that in this forum and do you have any suggestions on dealers you have purchased a maxed out KR-500 from with great pricing, great service and no hassles?

I appreciate any and all help. One last wildcard question I'll throw out, since this is a group of car guys/gals... Are there any cars I'm overlooking that I should consider as a nearly ZR-1 replacement?

Thanks
Tom Steele

P.S. The reason for my background was to try and give you an idea of the kind of person I am and what is important to me in a car. I would add that brand means nothing to me. I don't look down on Fords or any other car now and I am open to ANY car that will give me the performance and handling that I would like for a good price. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Well if you buy a new 2014-14 GT500 in stock form it will be a little slower then your ZR1 but with a few bolt ons it will be as fast or a little faster then a stock ZR1. The ride will be much better but the car will not handle as good in max effort road course or open track events but for street driving will be more then enough. If you want something that is faster and handles and will seat four you should be looking at a new track edition GTR.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
The Mustang is nothing like the Vette. You don't sit in it the same, it doesn't feel the same at all in the Canyon, it is just different. I suggest you find a GT500 owner and trade a driving experience with them.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'd be looking at a four door German monster if u want to go fast and be able to drive the kids around. Just about any AMG sedan, RS4 or RS6, new M5. What about a CTS-V? I love my mustang but if I had the $ those are the cars I'd be looking at.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
668 Posts
CTS-V is where it's at. Manual wagon will be hard to find. The sedan will be just as quick as the vette. With a flip of a switch, a CTS-V is has one of the most intimidating sounds. The ultimate sleeper too.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Get a GTR they are badass. A guy around here sold his supercharged c6 zo6 and got a gtr cause it had back seats.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Even though I prefer Mustangs, I would have to agree that the CTS-V would be the logical choice. If you can find a wagon, I'd buy it. I don't know the numbers but read once where they were only made to order so very small production. That will be a car that will appreciate in value down the road. I was surfing today looking at CTS-V used prices and found a '10 with 50K miles for $39K and that was the advertised price. Even '12 models in the mid-high $40's. Not a track car but for DD and kid hauling duty, not much faster out there for the money.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Boss 302 with a paxton on 13psi will smoke that zr1.... and has a back seat. But still doesn't have a corvette handling.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I tried to order a 14' CTS-V about 2 months ago. I went to two dealerships. First dealership said they were going to order it, I left a deposit... 5 days later the salesman called me saying cadillac was cancelling the V8 production for the cts-v's. Second dealership said they could get me the car no problemo. Left a deposit and then a few days later, salesman told me cadillac canceled the V sedan production.

Good luck finding a V with the options you want, for everyone suggesting a CTS-V.

Even all the new GT500's are pretty much picked through. The cts-v is pretty slow, I wasn't impressed with the acceleration, however it is refined and you can not tell you are going as fast as you are. It handled ok too.

If you happen to find a GT500 you like, I don't think youll be disappointed in it. I'd check on CTS-V's too. They'd make a GREAT daily driver. Much better than a GT500 would.

·
Registered
503 Posts
911 Turbo (997) or GTR. Love my Mustangs and you can make a mustang faster than your Zr1 or the cars I mention....they are just not in the same league of overall performance.

·
Registered
207 Posts
GT-R vs Vette on the ring!

saw a hopped up GT-R that was driven to the strip, ran 9.60 et @ 160 mph, then backed it up two more times...then drove it home! it was on street tires...did not sound any loaded than a stock one...SWEET!

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Tom, i'm going to tell you right now that any mustang you buy is not going to satisfy that ZR-1 feeling. I have never owned one, but a close friend of mine had a red 2010 that I have driven and beat on. That car is a land rocket, and the brakes are something that still gives me chills to this day. I love that car. If I knew I could get away with buying one, i'd never own another mustang again.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Economically speaking here, but just buy a almost new or used truck. There will be plenty of room for passengers and you shouldn't be worried about handling performance in the mountains because you have passengers to worry about and their safety is above and beyond the joys of taking those turns at high speeds. When you want to go banzai in the mountains then take the vette out (by yourself).

As far as it being left outside..who cares? Its a truck..its not new..and again its a truck and will serve its purpose. If you want to get fancy..get a truck cover!:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts