Registered
157 Posts
Sure:

Forged / internal balanced aluminum 408
AFR 205 Heads
Comp Cams EX 282 282 / 290 duration, 565 / 574 lift
Victor Jr intake
Race Demon 775 carb

Makes 450 RWHP at 5600. 450 RWTQ at 4600. Its tame but built to run for long periods of time.
Mild is good for the street and autocross... I see what you did there. Looks like a great combo.

What does it idle at comfortably? Got a video of what it sounds like?

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
Stock block 358, TFS Renegade 220, Box R, ProCharger F1C, a/a cooler, water-meth, AFM B-451 cam, Holley HP EFI, Mighty Might c4, spool, manual brakes, manual steering....street driven.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Ive seen several 351w SBE supercharged combos, and I gotta say that's my favorite. You can run a mild cam and still make all the power that chassis can handle on the street. And they still keep that classic sbf sound.

I feel like once you go with a stroker, cam requirements make you lose that classic sbf sound. If im wrong, and someone has an example of a large stoker that idles smoothly at a low rpm and doesn't have that raspy race car sound, please share.

I'm just not a fan of street motors where you have a 427 idling at 1100 rpm... not my thing.

My custom cammed 302 idles great at 800rpm, drives almost like a stock car and sounds mean and awesome with longtubes and a pro chamber. I'll probably supercharge it and be done with it. Mine really is a pure street car for fun.
Here's my 428w as described idling at 896 RPM.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Dart block 427 FTI ported Super Vic, Quick fuel 950 Black Diamond.
TFS 205 IIR h/r 244/252 @.50 .576/.582 Comp ultra gold rockers
11-1 compression 1.75'' headers 3'' exhaust,MSD ignition.
NX standalone fuel system,NOS 2 stage big shot plate.
92 in the tank,C16 in the stand alone.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Mild is good for the street and autocross... I see what you did there. Looks like a great combo.

And reliability. It idles great at 850 rpm. Video of idle - Kinda. Engine is cold.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts

And reliability. It idles great at 850 rpm. Video of idle - Kinda. Engine is cold.

"This video is unavailable"

·
Registered
837 Posts
Odd. I am catching a plane soon. I’ll fix it tonight.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
I love how my 347 sounds. Idles about 900 RPM perfectly.

Big cam and 11.3:1

It’s not a daily the only negative is not great in stop and go traffic etc. But I didn’t build it for driveability.

I’m accumulating parts for a 351 and with a SC. That’s probably 5 more more years down the road.

It’s currently a basement build.

Quick and easy:

Stock 351W roller block
AFR 185 or 205 heads
Comp Cam XE 282
RPM air gap.
Holley 750 DP

Should make 450 ish, There are many ways to skin the cat. This is just one of many and easy (easier) on the wallet.
Ive seen several 351w SBE supercharged combos, and I gotta say that's my favorite. You can run a mild cam and still make all the power that chassis can handle on the street. And they still keep that classic sbf sound.

I feel like once you go with a stroker, cam requirements make you lose that classic sbf sound. If im wrong, and someone has an example of a large stoker that idles smoothly at a low rpm and doesn't have that raspy race car sound, please share.

I'm just not a fan of street motors where you have a 427 idling at 1100 rpm... not my thing.

My custom cammed 302 idles great at 800rpm, drives almost like a stock car and sounds mean and awesome with longtubes and a pro chamber. I'll probably supercharge it and be done with it. Mine really is a pure street car for fun.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Want to apologize, I did an average of that datalog and idle was 895.04 in that video.

I forgot that I had lowered the idle to 896 RPM after initially setting it at 950 RPM.
That does sound pretty darn good. A good bit more rowdy than my 302, but not too obnoxious. The point of my post is that there's a fine line between what sounds great for 5 minutes and what you can tolerate driving for hours. We are talking street cars here, and to me it has to be mellow enough to be enjoyable for lots of driving day in and day out, and those rowdy cams get old quick.

Reactions: Cougar5.O

·
Registered
418 Posts
Ford racing 427 short block
AFR 205cc cylinder heads
Mild hydraulic roller cam
236°/240° @050 555/565 lift
Trickflow R series intake
90mm throttle body
92mm pro-m mass air meter
Good drivability and has been very reliable so far.

Reactions: I.C.E

·
Registered
157 Posts
460 sbf
hyd roller
hi ports
over 630 rwhp
:surprise: OMG! You have one of those?! I've ALWAYS wondered how that would work, never talked to or seen anyone with that stoker. How do you like it?! Does it shake/vibrate a lot (something I heard stokers that size might do). Easy to drive on the street?

Most importantly... got a video you can share?! :smile2:

I'd love to hear more about this one. :nerd:

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
I stuck my phone on my console and made a 1st & 2nd gear pull (I eased into the throttle 'cuz I'm still not sure what will happen if I straight out gun it.)

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
:surprise: OMG! You have one of those?! I've ALWAYS wondered how that would work, never talked to or seen anyone with that stoker. How do you like it?! Does it shake/vibrate a lot (something I heard stokers that size might do). Easy to drive on the street?

Most importantly... got a video you can share?! :smile2:

I'd love to hear more about this one. :nerd:
Works great, turns up just as quick as a 302. I shift it at 7k and it pulls hard to 7200. Its tuned so drivability is fine. The acceleration is scary, I break traction in 3rd gear getting on the interstate on drag radials.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Works great, turns up just as quick as a 302. I shift it at 7k and it pulls hard to 7200. Its tuned so drivability is fine. The acceleration is scary, I break traction in 3rd gear getting on the interstate on drag radials.
Guy at the New England dragway has the same engine as you in a 1st gen special edition (can't recall exact model) Mustang. I think he was running low 11's IIRC. Was definitely impressive! I was a little concerned with reliability & piston speed with that engine. They recommend like 5800 RPM max (it's actually 5600 - lol - I looked it up), but in reality the engine spends so little time above that RPM that it surely can handle those short durations.

Edit: I also drive with drag radials full time.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Guy at the New England dragway has the same engine as you in a 1st gen special edition (can't recall exact model) Mustang. I think he was running low 11's IIRC. Was definitely impressive! I was a little concerned with reliability & piston speed with that engine. They recommend like 5800 RPM max (it's actually 5600 - lol - I looked it up), but in reality the engine spends so little time above that RPM that it surely can handle those short durations.

Edit: I also drive with drag radials full time.
Yeah, he has the Ford racing 460 crate motor. The cam and heads limited the rpm for that motor. Plus it also help keep warranty claims down. Mine is a dart shp with considerably bigger heads and cam.

I was impressed with that guys progress to get that mach 1 into he 9's with a stick.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Yeah, he has the Ford racing 460 crate motor. The cam and heads limited the rpm for that motor. Plus it also help keep warranty claims down. Mine is a dart shp with considerably bigger heads and cam.

I was impressed with that guys progress to get that mach 1 into he 9's with a stick.
So it is a Mach 1 - wasn't 100% sure.

Did he make the 9's? Pretty impressive with those heads - Z304, correct?

21 - 40 of 52 Posts