Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at INDE Motorsports Ranch not far from Tucson on Saturday. There was a guy and a chick passenger in a newer 911 turbo gridded near me and he was all over the traffic behind me on the out-lap. He finally got around them on the straight, and I pointed him by, expecting him to quickly disappear. He did...on the straights, but then he started getting sloppy in the turns, pointed me by, and I never saw him again. :D

·
Registered
662 Posts
I dig watching your videos, you always look so relaxed while driving :)

Question: I see you got some new wheels and are running 275s now...I know this is very subjective, but, how much faster do you think you are now? (i.e., do you have any comparable lap times vs when you were on the 17x8s)

Thanks,
Mark

·
Super Moderator
27,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
3 seconds faster than the last time I ran the same configuration, on a 2.7 mile track. 1:54.1 was the best I recorded compared to 1:57's last time. I have a little more power now but the big difference is cornering speed.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Good looking laps. I love that! Had a similar experience with a GTR this year.

What tires and size?

·
Super Moderator
27,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nitto NT01's in 275/40-17

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Have you ever used any other DOT tire?

I'm going to try the NT01 next

I've always ran the RA-1 but I had to switch wheels and they don't make RA-1's in my new size. I figure I'll try the NT01 next as they do come in a 275-35-18

·
Registered
267 Posts
I was at INDE Motorsports Ranch not far from Tucson on Saturday. There was a guy and a chick passenger in a newer 911 turbo gridded near me and he was all over the traffic behind me on the out-lap. He finally got around them on the straight, and I pointed him by, expecting him to quickly disappear. He did...on the straights, but then he started getting sloppy in the turns, pointed me by, and I never saw him again. :D

http://youtu.be/AG8mxXsIHKY
Sounds about right. When I see something like this I automatically assume that the car is piloted by a no driver and that I will be soon passing him. At some point they usually come over to where I am pitted and walk wide circles around my car and eventually say something like "What have you done to that car?" To which I reply that I have done nothing to the motor but have done some suspension upgrades but am still using conventional style springs and shocks which is all true. I just love the look of disbelief on their faces. I mean how can a car that is based off of a 1978 Fairmont and that is only lightly modified possibly out run their high zoot fancy sports car?

·
Super Moderator
27,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds about right. When I see something like this I automatically assume that the car is piloted by a no driver and that I will be soon passing him. At some point they usually come over to where I am pitted and walk wide circles around my car and eventually say something like "What have you done to that car?" To which I reply that I have done nothing to the motor but have done some suspension upgrades but am still using conventional style springs and shocks which is all true. I just love the look of disbelief on their faces. I mean how can a car that is based off of a 1978 Fairmont and that is only lightly modified possibly out run their high zoot fancy sports car?
Yeah, the best exchange is "daaaaang, what kind of power adder do you have on this?" "Corner exit speed".

·
Super Moderator
27,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you ever used any other DOT tire?

I'm going to try the NT01 next

I've always ran the RA-1 but I had to switch wheels and they don't make RA-1's in my new size. I figure I'll try the NT01 next as they do come in a 275-35-18
Maxxis RC1's are really highly regarded for stick and longevity, but my experiment on running them in 235 width was a failure. I may give them another shot eventually.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yeah, the best exchange is "daaaaang, what kind of power adder do you have on this?" "Corner exit speed".
And sometime they just don't know when to quit and start telling about how their tires are worn out, bla bla bla.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My RC-1's tend to get slicker the longer I run them in a race than my NT01's, but I am pushing it to get it to rotate a little more than most. But the RC-1's were faster in back to back TT sessions.

·
Super Moderator
27,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I never checked hot pressures but I set them to 27 cold and they seemed to work just fine. One guy at the track thought that was really low but I've been accused of setting R-comps too high, so I went lower this time. Honestly never remembered to check them hot :eek:

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Ok. I've been running my RA1's at 31 cold. If you change pressures around and you like it better, let me know. Otherwise when I get my NT01's I'll use 27 as a starting point.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
It's been a few years since I ran NT01s, but as I recall, they liked ~40# hot. Above that and they started to get greasy. This was on my '05 CTS-V, so a heavy RWD car.

Edit: It's worth noting that car has real-time display of the TPMS sensors, so I can check tire pressures while I'm on track. That makes it pretty easy to see what works and what doesn't when it comes to pressures.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts