Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive read this topic to death and feel like I am finding conflicting theories of what actually works. I have a freshened up stock 302 in my 94 cobra with a 70mm turbo. My seals don't seem to me leaking and my dipstick isn't getting blown out. However, I currently run the stock pcv valve and I have the oil filler neck tube not connected to anything and its starting to blow out a little oil.

I just ordered a full catch can setup through race parts solutions, great company to deal with btw. I don't really want to hack up my stock cobra valve covers to install this unless I have to. A catch can setup just seems a little over kill for my setup, only running 9-10lbs of boost making 400/450.

Could I just run a vacuum line from the oil filler tube, put an air/oil separator in-line, and hook it into the air filter pipe just before the turbo? Any downsides to this set-up?

Also, I have read about running a breather but I don't want an oil mist everywhere as just this little bit is driving me crazy. Also, if I have understood correctly, will suck in un-metered air causing a lean idle, which I currently have. Its not terrible tho, about a 15.8 af reading.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Why not just put a small breather on that tube and wrap a wrist band around it so you dont get a oil mist...change out wrist bands now and then,.....

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why not just put a small breather on that tube and wrap a wrist band around it so you dont get a oil mist...change out wrist bands now and then,.....
Wouldn't that still allow un-metered air into the engine? I also haven't had much luck finding a breather that small. I am just wondering if running that to my air filter pipe before turbo would be the optimal set up.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Wouldn't that still allow un-metered air into the engine? I also haven't had much luck finding a breather that small. I am just wondering if running that to my air filter pipe before turbo would be the optimal set up.
I found one that small at advance...I ran it like that when my car was supercharged 10 psi no problems at all....

·
Registered
372 Posts
So far the best setup I have read about goes as follows.

- Baffled -10 or -12 fittings, one in each valve cover.
- Run both lines to catch can.
- Run a pcv valve from a turbo coupe with oil seperator inline.
- only thing I wonder is if it is best to vent the catch can with a filter or to run a -12 to the inlet of the turbo to eliminate nasty crankcase gasses.
- Also, since most guys run a blow through MAF it is pretty much impossible to get away from the unmetered air condition. From my understanding this can be remedied with the tune/ closed loop adaption.

Thoughts?

Still trying to figure out what I want to do as well. Just want to do it once. :hammer:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts