Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I was wondering how a y2k88 turbonetics would do on a 408w ?? Exhaust is .96 I will be running a 2.08 215 cc rhs pro top line head Victor Jr intake and 90 degree elbow thanks!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
It is a little small but you do have a 88mm. I have a s480 with a 1.32ar. Don't rev it to the moon and that should keep back pressure from getting out of hand.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
We have that exact turbo on my friend’s car. 408, Victor jr heads, TFS box manifold. We have been [email protected] at 3250# with just a few shake down runs and a super safe tune (21 degrees timing across the board and 11.2 A/F) We are swapping a Holley EFi system in it and I really think 8.50’s will be no issue. This also has the .96 exhaust housing. Lights up super-fast without much rpm.

Any questions feel free to ask….

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
We have that exact turbo on my friend’s car. 408, Victor jr heads, TFS box manifold. We have been [email protected] at 3250# with just a few shake down runs and a super safe tune (21 degrees timing across the board and 11.2 A/F) We are swapping a Holley EFi system in it and I really think 8.50’s will be no issue. This also has the .96 exhaust housing. Lights up super-fast without much rpm.

How much boost?

·
Registered
3,425 Posts

What fuel?

Makes me feel my 14 degrees in my mod engine is on the low side.

Reactions: TomR

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
What fuel?

Makes me feel my 14 degrees in my mod engine is on the low side.
We were running C16 and a snow meth kit. We have run this on pump gas, But we are planning on leaning on it a bit so we figured we might as well run good gas now.

I have not tuned to many mod motors so I can't comment on the timing numbers, I know the 4 valve motors usually don't run a much as a pushrod would. That being said, I think 14 sounds a little low anyway depending on fuel.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
We were running C16 and a snow meth kit. We have run this on pump gas, But we are planning on leaning on it a bit so we figured we might as well run good gas now.

I have not tuned to many mod motors so I can't comment on the timing numbers, I know the 4 valve motors usually don't run a much as a pushrod would. That being said, I think 14 sounds a little low anyway depending on fuel.
I think it is kind of a grey area, at least from what I have gathered. I have heard mod motors really like 13-14 degrees, but I have heard others running 17-18 with ridiculous results.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Just a quick update, Had this to the track. Just swapped out the Gen7 and AMS 500 for a Holley HP system. Made a couple quick shake down hits, nice slow ramp, only 21 degrees timing and 18# of boost. Went [email protected], 1.38 60' [email protected] to the 1/8. This turbo lights up FAST!!! On the foot brake from idle to 9.5#@3800 in 2 seconds.

Only legal to go 8.50 with the cage, but I may throw more power at it next time and see what happens...

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
Another quick update. Been a while as this car broke the trans a took a while to get it up and running again.

Last trip out [email protected] 3250#. Hopefully well have it out again before winter sets in, I'd like to throw a little more at it. Went 5.36 to the 1/8.
that's getting with the program there Brian

whats the whole combo if its cool to ask? what block,etc

thanks

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
that's getting with the program there Brian

whats the whole combo if its cool to ask? what block,etc

thanks
No problem at all. Dart block (408" motor) Victor Jr. heads, TFS Box R manifold, solid roller cam. Motor is maybe 9.0 compression or so I believe. Holley EFI as well and Y2K 88 turbo. Way old school and outdated, but doing ok for now...

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
So last update on this for the year. A few weeks ago we went back out, ended up going
5.34 @ 133.3
8.32 @ 162 letting out 7.9 seconds into the run lifting early. Apparently this is something he has been doing for a while and I never caught it.

This car would MPH better (I’m guessing 165-166), but apparently my friend didn’t know where exactly he should be letting off the gas lol…In his defense, car still has stock brakes front and rear so if he doesn’t have the chute out early enough he has a rear hard time getting it stopped. I had told him to pull the chute about 11-1200 feet or so, he was also getting out of it at the same time. That’s a story for another day….

We have been happy with how it has responded, and I’ve noticed some stuff in the data we can improve on, like certain things with the Co2 and a few other tweaks. It’s definitely not going to go 7.90’s, although on a smaller motor it may but this engine really wants something a little larger on the exhaust side of things. That being said, still makes very good power and it does spool stupid fast after a few tricks. Makes 9# in 1.8 seconds lol…wish mine spooled that fast…

1 - 18 of 18 Posts