Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new motor has 2500 miles on it and I only get 220 miles to a tank. My old motor would get 260-270. WTF?? It has new plugs but the same wires. What in the hell could be wrong?? It is not a heavy foot b/c I drive it just like I did w/ the old one. Any suggestions?? I have heard of some of you getting 300+ w/ the same mods and driving it hard?? What gives??? I do all city driving.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Well...it's still a pretty fresh engine, right? Fuel consumption might be a tad awry during those first couple thousand miles, who knows.... Did anything else change (i.e. octane of fuel used,etc,etc)?

:confused:

·
Registered
174 Posts
I don't know how low you let it get before filling, but I usually only get about 220 or so on my '98 (fill at 1/4, comes out to around 20 mpg). It remains to be seen what I'm getting on the '99, it's too early to tell.

I can't think of anybody getting 300 in any situation other than highway cruising.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My last 2 fill-ups I ran it all the way to the red(on empty). I use Chevron 93 octane. My old engine like I said would go 260-270.

...and yes people on here have said they have gone 300 or so miles on a tank, maybe it was highway miles. I know my won't though.

·
Registered
103 Posts
97 SSSSVT said:
My new motor has 2500 miles on it and I only get 220 miles to a tank. My old motor would get 260-270. WTF?? It has new plugs but the same wires. What in the hell could be wrong?? It is not a heavy foot b/c I drive it just like I did w/ the old one. Any suggestions?? I have heard of some of you getting 300+ w/ the same mods and driving it hard?? What gives??? I do all city driving.
Maybe you're running rich. Just a thought.

·
Registered
16 Posts
WTF!

Why or kind of engine did you get? Did you blow the first one.
Just purchased a 96 Cobra. Ford replaced his engine after 10,000mi. They also replaced the clutch and trans. This all happened late 1997.
Greg

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My engine started to burn oil. It didn't run all that bad, just burned oil. So I got a new one under warranty. This one runs pretty hard. I thought others were getting a lot better gas mileage than this.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I see about 190 - 230 per tank. Seems like this is the norm. Wish it was alittle more though:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Same here with my 96 usually around 220 at just below 1/4 with combination driving. If I am willing to venture to the red, I can get maybe 260. I check mileage every time and almost always see 19-20. I have gotten 23 on a trip before.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts