Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only about 15% of people fight their traffic tickets. I am curious, what would convince you to fight a ticket yourself? What % chance would you need of beating it to make it worth it?

I'm an engineer with a little background in data science so I downloaded ~100,000 Orange and Brevard county, Florida traffic cases, their outcomes, who the officers were, etc. Hoping to find a niche and roll it out nationwide. What would you want to know to be assured you can do it and that it it's worth it? I made a site (CaseGuide) that provides prefilled out forms and statistics about beating Florida traffic tickets.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
it depends on the ticket and the circumstances. i have fought tickets in the past, and won them all, others i accepted the the ticket and paid it, or went to traffic school to work it off.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
If I know I am guilty I will work to reduce it as much as I can. But if the ticket is bogus, I will fight it to the highest court. Last three times I've been stopped (over about 10-15 years) it's been BS and I've immediately taken an offensive posture and challenged the cops on every claim right on the side of the road. Each time I have driven away without any ticket.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
If I know I am guilty I will work to reduce it as much as I can. But if the ticket is bogus, I will fight it to the highest court. Last three times I've been stopped (over about 10-15 years) it's been BS and I've immediately taken an offensive posture and challenged the cops on every claim right on the side of the road. Each time I have driven away without any ticket.
i take a different tact with the cops that have stopped me, i dont challenge them, but i do give them their due, and usually leave with at most a written warning.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The only reason i fight traffic tickets is points. In Florida you get 3 points for speeding and 4 points for reckless driving ect. ( i believe) I took the "traffic class" 4 times already and you only get 5 in a life time (or something close) to avoid the points.

So if i get a ticket, i call The Ticket Clinic, pay an extra $90-100 and they take care of it. I end up having to pay the ticket eventually but it they gaurantee no points on ur liscense.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
The only reason i fight traffic tickets is points. In Florida you get 3 points for speeding and 4 points for reckless driving ect. ( i believe) I took the "traffic class" 4 times already and you only get 5 in a life time (or something close) to avoid the points.

So if i get a ticket, i call The Ticket Clinic, pay an extra $90-100 and they take care of it. I end up having to pay the ticket eventually but it they gaurantee no points on ur liscense.
in arizona you can take traffic school once every 18 months or two years, perhaps, its been a while since i last went to traffic school(about ten years).

·
Premium Member
2,351 Posts
One ticket in the last 25 years. I dont worry about it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Only about 15% of people fight their traffic tickets. I am curious, what would convince you to fight a ticket yourself? What % chance would you need of beating it to make it worth it?

I'm an engineer with a little background in data science so I downloaded ~100,000 Orange and Brevard county, Florida traffic cases, their outcomes, who the officers were, etc. Hoping to find a niche and roll it out nationwide. What would you want to know to be assured you can do it and that it it's worth it? I made a site (CaseGuide) that provides prefilled out forms and statistics about beating Florida traffic tickets.
Problem with your data analysis concept is the human equation:
The Judge
The prosecutor
The cop
You (the defendant)

Each ONE of these humans is capable of F'ing up (or biasing, if you will) the result, one way or another.
It's not a system where there's a right or wrong, nor is it one where there's a demonstrable right answer.

Any ONE of the above humans have a bad morning and all bets are off.
Any ONE of the above humans have some historical background (good or bad) with one of the others and all bets are off

And then there's the really common scenario . . . where despite bending over backwards to ignore the fact (or sources of bias) that the cop is a known liar or the prosecutor is a hypocritical ass who's lenient towards his friends and hostile towards others for bigoted reasons, or the defendant is up for the upteenth time this week for the same damn thing . . . some one person says something so freakin F'd that you can't let it go and the result is often NOT what God would sanction.
(and please note, God is not present or actually sanctioning results in traffic court, or any other court so don't go thinking truth will win out)

It's traffic court. It's a cattle call. It's (unfortunately) a revenue-producing machine in many jurisdictions. It's NOT beyond a reasonable doubt (almost unquestionable guilt), it's by a preponderance (more likely than not, or typically 51%).

On the basis of the slight (easy to meet) burden of proof in traffic tickets its NEVER EVER generally a good idea to go in there thinking you're going to beat the system.

And if the point system is such that you're facing suspension or worse . . . hire an attorney.

Just sayin.

·
Registered
655 Posts
LOTS of tickets between 1975 (16, got license) and 1981 (light bulb came on). Had a neighbor freak out because I was doing drag launches on the street. Duh, of course he was right. Ever since, I ream out any one I see doing stupid stuff on the street. People say "Didn't you ever do something dumb when you were young?" I say, "Yes, and I don't want to see someone else make the same mistake". -Sometimes with disastrous results.

·
11,039 Posts
Fight a traffic ticket? It depends.

1. Don't show up to court thinking you are going to wing it. You have to do your homework in advance and be able to demonstrate that the ticket is bogus.

* A buddy got a ticket for running a red light. He claimed that the light wasn't red, but the cop politely said "tell it to the judge". So the guy sat and watched the intersection for a couple hours and sure enough, the light in question didn't turn red a couple times (it was a confusing intersection).
He notified the Traffic dept, which fixed the computer, and went to court with the Traffic dept's work order, acknowledging that the light didn't turn red on occasion. Even then, the cop still basically said "nuh uh-uh". My buddy is an attorney, though, so he cited specific mumbo jumbo and got out of the ticket.

*A couple guys on The Corral got speeding tickets. They got their speedos calibrated, and a work order from the shop that did the work. They told the judge that their speedo was now correct, and they SAY the judge let them go. This seems backwards to me, because it seems like they are admitting guilt. But if it's on the Corral, it's true, right? The point is that they did some homework.

*I went to traffic court one day and a couple guys thought they would fight the ticket. The judge said "do you have any questions for the officer?" and the guys all did the same thing: they looked at the cop, tried to think up a question, and came up with stuff like "where were you?" Lame. They just tacked $100 court costs onto their tickets.

*One guy was guilty as sin, but he drew up nice scale maps and had all these prepared questions designed to confuse the cop. The guy was smart and the cop wasn't so smart, but each time the cop knew he was sounding bad he just looked back down at his ticket book and came up with a solid answer. The defendant was found guilty... and he only succeeded in looking pompous.

2. If you're guilty, consider just paying the ticket. If they offer traffic school, take it. When I was a young man I didn't realize I was driving like a jerk, and after traffic school I drove with consideration.... and girls started going on second dates with me! :)

3. Note that if your case comes down to your word against the cops, that the court recognizes the cop as a certified traffic expert, and you are not. The cop will win.

4. If you have a traffic cam in your car, that could prevent the ticket from being written... or it could be incriminating evidence.

·
Super Moderator
27,649 Posts
I used to fight traffic tickets on the off chance the cop wouldn't show up, or show up on time. I won some, I lost some, but I won twice that way.

Then I moved to a state where if you paid a lawyer $100 he'd make it go away if you paid twice the fine. Boom. Done.

Then I moved to a state where once every two years (now once every year), you can make a ticket go away by taking online "traffic school" and coughing up a couple hundred bucks.

I have not seen a courtroom in years.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I used to fight traffic tickets on the off chance the cop wouldn't show up, or show up on time. I won some, I lost some, but I won twice that way.

Then I moved to a state where if you paid a lawyer $100 he'd make it go away if you paid twice the fine. Boom. Done.

Then I moved to a state where once every two years (now once every year), you can make a ticket go away by taking online "traffic school" and coughing up a couple hundred bucks.

I have not seen a courtroom in years.
^ This all day ^

I might fight a ticket if I genuinely thought I was innocent of the charge, which has happened roughly zero times. My most recent was five or six years ago and it was taken care of with an online "traffic school" I completed from my laptop while on vacation.

·
11,039 Posts
^ This all day ^

I might fight a ticket if I genuinely thought I was innocent of the charge, which has happened roughly zero times.
:lol::lol::grin2::laugh::D

·
Registered
332 Posts
I drove truck for a living.Never got a ticket driving a truck, but my car is another matter. I always got a lawyer. Never had any points , but paid through the nose for it.If you get a lawyer he will tell you it's all about money.Pay the money and watch it go away.Roger

·
Vendor
11,887 Posts
2 tickets in 20 years. Not interested in losing time sitting in a room with 75 other people for hours on end. Forbid you dont get called before lunch recess. Im good

1 - 20 of 22 Posts