Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Kell-Strom digital protractor (Aero Angle II, Pro 3600) with a magnetic base that will tell me degrees of angle down to a tenth. I was thinking about putting the protractor on the hub of the car and using it to tell me degrees of camber gained relative to an initial reading. This way, despite if the car is on level ground, I will know when I have added a degree of negative camber by knowing what it was at to begin with. I run a degree of camber for daily driving, with the MaximumMotorsports plates in the negative position moved all the way outboard. I'd like to run close to two and a half degrees at the track.

Anyone see a flaw in this? I imagine it being more accurate than something like a bubble gauge. If I in fact have one degree of negative camber, the gauge shows 89 degrees. Subtract 1.5 from that to get 87.5 degrees, for a total of 2.5 degrees of negative camber. I don't trust it because it doesn't cost me anything. Good, free, what is that.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
It'll work, as long as it's also levelled vertically first. If you can fit it between the spokes of the wheel, you can attach it to the brake rotor as a reference for hub angle.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Or you can get a piece of square steel tube, cut it to span the rim of your wheel, and just attach the protractor to that tube.

I'm going to assume that MFE means that the protractor needs to be leveled vertically, not that the car needs to be.

·
Authorized corral.net Advertiser
579 Posts
It will work fine. Many of the digital protractors have a function to compensate for reading off non level ground as well, but your method would work as long as you never lose reference.

HTH,

DaveW

1 - 4 of 4 Posts