Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Would like to hear thoughts on this concept.

I can not post pics, but I'll explain.

This is a qiuck spool flange to be used with a twin scroll "hot side" turbo. This mounts between the exhaust mount flange and the hot side turbo flange.
Garret and Holeset to name a few, have a twin scroll hot side. They are a divided housing and is very noticable because of 2 ports. Not one big entrance into the tubine. The flange has one open port and one butterfly port. Close the butterfly at low engine rpms will force all exhaust pressure to one port, in turn spooling the turbo faster at low engine rpm's. Then at the right time open the butterfly for full pressure to both ports.

This is to fix a larger(to large for the engine)turbo with to much low rpm lag.
Say like a Garret T6 on a 2.3l?

GOOD IDEA? BAD IDEA?

There is real world data and is proven itself worthy. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
38 Posts
theturboforums dot com/smf/index.php?topic=45148.0

cant post urls yet but put it together. i think this is the post i was talking about but here you go. hope that helps.:salute:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Try it and let us know. I would venture to say no. Forcing the exhaust to go through a smaller hole will only ad backpressure to the engine hurting spool up. (backpressure not turning the turbine wheel) What is actually needed is more exhaust to turn the wheel. The only way this could be done is to make the actuall A/R of the housing change. (at the point where the wheel and pressure meet)

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Try it and let us know. I would venture to say no. Forcing the exhaust to go through a smaller hole will only ad backpressure to the engine hurting spool up. (backpressure not turning the turbine wheel) What is actually needed is more exhaust to turn the wheel. The only way this could be done is to make the actuall A/R of the housing change. (at the point where the wheel and pressure meet)
If the twin scroll simply merged right after the flange, I’d see your point. This isn’t the case however, as the twin scrolls typically run separate all the way to the turbine. In the end, you effectively reduce your exhaust a/r which is why you see the results. It appears some have gone through great lengths to rig up solenoids to control these block-off plates. The only application I can see most of us using this for is when someone has a severely oversized a/r tubine housing for street duty….yet need’s the extra a/r for the track. For most of us, there is still no substitute for simply picking the correct turbo in the first place, as even with the block-off you still have a heavier rotating assembly (read more lag) to spin with a the smaller a/r.

http://theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=45148.0

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! And thanks for the links!

I don't know how to post pics, so I'm glad you guys know what I'm talking about. I felt alone their for a minute trying to explain this!

I can't see how forcing the same pressure from 2 ports into 1 over the same wheel would spool the turbo SOONER!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts