Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about getting longtube headers for my 99GT. My mods are in my sig. Would there be any benefits to them? Has anybody dynoed before and after? What about the Off road H pipe, would I have to get a different one? Thanks!

·
Registered
468 Posts
I don't have 'em...yet, but longtubes a really supposed to help a lot. I remember reading an article in some mag about gaining something like 35 horse with those and a shorty H! Course you can't always believe what you read, either. I plan on getting some soon.

You would need a new, shorter, H-pipe. BBK has 'em, I believe.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any other opinions? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Hey there,

LT's are a great power gaining mod, but on newer 99+ stangs, be prepared for check engine lights being set off due to O2 sensors not working properly if you live in an emissions testing state... now.. if you're into offroad setups, I guess you don't care =) Expect 15 to 20hp at the wheels gain typically.. and a very sweet and MEAN sound.

Later,

SOHC
99 Vortech GT
02 Subaru WRX

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So which ones are better BBK or the SHM ones. Which H pipe will I have to buy? Will the Off road H from BBK bolt to the SHM longtubes? So I will without a doubt gain power from them right?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ttt please

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Get 'em!! My #'s are low, but I've got tuning issues. I definitely felt a difference with them. :evil:

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Yes..

You'll definitely feel the seat of the pants power increase with them. As far as what to go with.. you have lots of choices like BBK, Sean Hyland, MAC...and I believe Hooker is coming out with them. I'd check into the hookers...if they aren't available I'd do BBK or MAC's.. and make sure you get em jet coated! so your work doesn't rust away.

Be prepared for some knuckle busting if you do the install yourself..it ain't easy..and will take you 10-12 hours. Some of the bolts can only be turned 1/8th to 1/10th of a turn at a time there is so little room in there. It's much easier to do on a lift if you have access to one. I've helped do a couple LT installs..mostly on Cobras..and the power gains are great...but its a pain to do...I haven't even done it on my GT yet...I'll probably go with shorties eventually since I have a blower.

Later,

SOHC
99 Vortech GT
02 Subaru WRX

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ttt please

·
Registered
326 Posts
First off the SHM and Hookers are the same... Secondly, I have a set of them sitting on my living room floor and the look like they are of better quality than the MAC or BBK. I got the ceramic coated ones and if you are going to keep you car for awhile, then that is the way I would go. I am not going to install them myself... I don't have a lift or the patience to do it. I have a good friend who does good work and he is going to do them for $250 on a lift at his shop. The Hooker/SHM LT's will also allow you to remove the tranny and clutch with out taking out the LT's and that anyone will tell you makes these LT's a great design. Not that any of us ever have tranny or clutch problems :rolleyes:

I will post some numbers when I find time to drop my car off, but my car is a daily driver and he will need it all day. Good news is I will get to drive the car with open LT headers for a day and a half until I can get to my muffler guy to cut down my Bassani x-pipe. :joy:

Anyone got ear plugs

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So if I got the Hooker ones, all I would have to do is have my muffler shop cut my Mac Off road H pipe and it will bolt to the headers?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ive been thinking about headers as well, but im not sure if LT's will fit with my bassani xpipe...anyone got any opinions on this?

·
Registered
107 Posts
with your nitrous you should get very good results from them, yeah just reuse your MAC pipe unless you can get someone to buy it from you. On my old 96 GT with a compucar 90 shot, I got 1.5mph in the quarter just from the FRPP shorty headers, so I know you will do well with the longtubes. Get the hooker, my MAC's look like they have been dipped in the ocean a few times, its pretty damn aggravating. So yes you will get great results, just get it tuned RIGHT. otherwise, driveability will suffer quite a bit. Good luck.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I will work just fine, but it doesn't bolt on, you have to swedge the h pipe since the headers use a slip fit. I have no idea what swedge means, but that is what hooker told me and my muffler guy seemed to understand.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Unless they're 4+ ft. long runners, not much. By the way, how long are the runners on these bad boys?

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
'01 Steed said:
Unless they're 4+ ft. long runners, not much. By the way, how long are the runners on these bad boys?
You mean primaries, or collectors??? :confused: Either way, I don't have the answer, sorry.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I take it the new Hooker headers are the best choice since you dont have to mess with them to remove the tranny? And after they are on just take the car to the muffler shop and they can do whatever to the H pipe I currently have to make it connect to the collectors? Thanks, just want to make sure I understand you guys. Has anybody done this yet?

·
Registered
218 Posts
NC_35thPony said:
First off the SHM and Hookers are the same... Secondly, I have a set of them sitting on my living room floor and the look like they are of better quality than the MAC or BBK. I got the ceramic coated ones and if you are going to keep you car for awhile, then that is the way I would go. The Hooker/SHM LT's will also allow you to remove the tranny and clutch with out taking out the LT's and that anyone will tell you makes these LT's a great design. Not that any of us ever have tranny or clutch problems :rolleyes:
What he said! Getting my Bassani cut to fit at a muffler shop for $40. Will let everyone know dyno numbers when i am done with the exhaust.

laters

1 - 18 of 18 Posts