Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
whats a good rule of numb how many degrees of timing do you take out for every pound of boost??

going off stock timing i believe its 30

what max boost and timing ar you guys running

·
Registered
994 Posts
I have a 2 position boost controller. One is set for 9 pounds and the other is set at 12 pounds. I'm running 18 degrees of total timing on both settings.

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
I run 18 on 12psi

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does compression ratio matter when it comes to timing??? Mine is 8.8-1

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yes compression matters so does heads, alum or iron and fuel has alot to do with it too. If you can run 23 and get away with it kudos. I only run 18* at wot and max boost. Your timing curve is really what makes or breaks your setup. I'd be a little reserved with that much timing unless you're running meth or c16 or e85. But as previously stated it your combo will handle it more power to you.

as for the timing retard vs lbs of boost I've asked a couple of tuners that same question and their response is typically what ever the combo likes and it all depends on the curve.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I dont know what my timing is im thinking total is around...in the High 20's i do have TF alum heads I run a stage 2 meth kit...I never asked my tuner what they have the total timing at...i know A/F is ok should i worry..I run 14 psi....

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Afr 185 aluminum heads! 93 octane so idk what the deal is! Lol but timing is very agressive I think compared!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont know what my timing is im thinking total is around...in the High 20's i do have TF alum heads I run a stage 2 meth kit...I never asked my tuner what they have the total timing at...i know A/F is ok should i worry..I run 14 psi....
Dont worry lol

·
Registered
737 Posts
i have my base timing at 22 at wot goes to 42 pull out 2 degrees per pound of boost. tea 205 tw heads. f cam. stock shortblock. I'm currently only running 8lbs. if i turn it up beyond 10 lbs i bring base timing down to 16. it seems to be 6 of 1 1/2 dozenof another. low boost high timing or high boost low timing. if i'm running higher than 10lbs i keep max timing around 16-18 total. on pumpgas. when i was running 20lbs of boost i had timing at 16 base and pulled 20 degrees of timing total. ran 114mph thru 1/8th.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so i guess i best not raise the boost without lowering the timing!! lol

if theres no issues with 23 total timing could i make more power with less??

·
Registered
639 Posts
Max boost 14 psi at 6000, timing is 18 total w/o meth......... 28 @ 3000rpm / 26 @ 6000rpm with meth

·
Registered
448 Posts
so i guess i best not raise the boost without lowering the timing!! lol

if theres no issues with 23 total timing could i make more power with less??
If you're running the same amount of boost, no. More aggresive timing= more power. Timing is the reason you see pistons with large holes in them MOST of the time. The same thing can happen from leaning out, or getting say a washer dropped in your intake manifold cause someone thinks it's a funny thing watching your car blow up(kid from college who thought his honda was super fast and needed to destroy my car to prove his point) By the way I won on 7 cylinders. Off topic ok so If you drop your timing down it will make less power however if you drop your timing say 3*and add 3-4 lbs of boost it'll wash, you'll make more power with less timing. How's your timing curve setup? Usually people start out with high timing and back it off as boost increases the amount varies from setup to setup but with pump gas, the norm is at or around 18* at full boost. My curve is as follows intial is set to 10* as rpm increasesmy timing advances like stock but my total timing @ wot with NO boost is set to 36*. So at 2lbs I see 26* 4lbs 20* 6lbs 19* and at 8lbs and above it stays at 18*. I could probably pick a coulpe hp by not dropping it off as quickly and spending a little more time with the curve but by 3300 i'm making 12psi and my car pulls like a freight train all the way up. So far this has worked well for my setup but like anything else, it might not work for everyone. I also use a pms so I can adjust my timing based on throttle position and boost pressure. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the advice. Right now I see no
Point then to raise boost and subtract timing!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Nasty92lx has got it. 16-20 degrees is what you usually see on pump gas. You will never know what the timing needs to be untill you put it on a dyno and play with the timing and see what torque & Horsepower reads. Start low on the timing around 15 and dyno then raise 2 degrees and make another run as long as torque and hp keep going up keep raising the timing 1 or 2 at a time. Once get near 18 just add one degree per pull to get it dead on max power. Guessing unless lucky you will not know if engine is fully happy or not. Don't get lazy and cheep and just throw timing at it or you will be getting a tow back to the house.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts