Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new brake setup came in today. It's Wilwoods new Aero6 6 piston calipers with a 14x1.25 rotor setup. Todd at TCE made a custom bracket for my fox with SN95 spindles as the kit is originally intended for corvettes. I went with the bigger Aero6 setup as it uses a pad that is .80" thick so pads could possibly last me more than double or triple what i am getting out of my Brembo pads now. He also put together a 13x1 rear kit for me that should work well with the new front kit.

I'm running the Brembo cobra R fronts with cobra rears now. I'm going through rotors and pads more than I would like. I could destroy a NAPA Gold cobra rotor in a day at full boogie. Most of the time they would last for a weekend but that was at most. After cracking two of them I switched to the 2 piece setup. The 2 piece setup I'm using are hats that Todd at CC made up and Coleman 13x1.1 rotor. It's a definite improvement over a NAPA or Brembo 1 piece setup.

My car is just getting to fast for a 13x1.1 rotor to take the heat and last more than a 2-3 weekend track events. Im also going through a set of Carbotech XP20 front race pads every weekend! Hopefully the new kit will be easier on consumables....

Anyhow, here are a few pics I snapped today. I've got a race 2 weeks away and I plan on installing everything after that.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately, no way. Had to go to an 18" rim.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not quite sure yet. Their not in perfect condition or anything as I use them for my track days.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I could use my C58's for daily use and the R58's for the track. Let me know if you want to sell them. I have been looking. As long as they are not all banged up, I am interested.

·
Registered
402 Posts
do you use up the rear pads equally as fast?

thats crazy you go through brakes that fast. ive done 3 days at NJMP (10 sessions) and 2 days at Mid Ohio (8 sessions) so far on a set of pads and they will probably last 1 more weekend.

thats a nice setup for sure though!

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Price wasn't to hateful. I think I paid $2700 for the fronts and $1200 for the rears. Both are a 2 piece rotors. Todd at TCE Performance is a good guy and his prices are fantastic!

The front calipers are also nickel plated so the color doesn't deteriorate or hold the heat inside like a powder coated caliper. I also got the thermolock pistons.

My rear pads last me significantly longer.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Im also going through a set of Carbotech XP20 front race pads every weekend!
Did you try different pads? I tried XP20s on my CTS-V and they were done in a weekend. I'm now running Raybestos ST43s and have done 3-1/2 events on those and they've got at least another event left, probably a couple more. I've got the replacements on hand already, ST47s, which are supposed to be even better.

Anyway, I suppose it's a moot point now. That new setup should be great!

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I never went with anything else as Carbotech is known to be easy on rotors and I was cooking them even with the Carbotechs.

Im buying my wife a 94-95 mustang soon; she wants to try tracking it a little. As such, I'm going to move the Brembo setup to the SN95 which gave me a good reason to go with a bigger setup on mine. Otherwise, my next step was to try a different pad combination.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sweet setup! apparently the Aeros are an awesome and very stiff caliper.

I have a set of W6A calipers on a 14.25" spec 37 1.25 rotor gonna see how well they do, got a smoking deal on a complete used setup and had no front brakes had to jump on it.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What wheels are you using for your setup with the 14.25 rotor?

The Aero caliper is basically a stiffer W6A caliper.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not sure. Beings that the new rotor is bigger and beefier in every way I'm sure it's a bit heavier.

When I start getting things torn down I plan on putting them both on a scale.

·
Registered
57 Posts
What wheels are you using for your setup with the 14.25 rotor?

The Aero caliper is basically a stiffer W6A caliper.
going to be using an 18", car is still in the building stage. the owner of the brakes previously was able to use an 18x10 HRE and forgeline wheel. I'm looking at fikse in 18".

The kit is actually a c5/c6 vette kit. since DSE uses a forged vette caliper with a hub assembly in 5x4.5" all i had to do was re-drill the rotor hat and it all bolted up.

I ended up with this setup out back to fit the full floater, nit the best but should work good on a 85/90 street car 10% track Wilwood High Performance Disc Brakes - Rear Brake Kit Product Number: 140-11877

ended up with this as a master CNC, Inc. - Street Rod Assemblies

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What bore did you go with on the MC? That looks interesting. I like the balance bar built in.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got some updates on rotor/caliper weights.

All these weights are with the rotor AND caliper.

13x1.1 Cobra R Brembo fronts with Brembo solid rotor 26.4lbs

13x1.1 Cobra R Brembo fronts with 2-piece rotor (TCE hats Coleman Rotor) 23.0lbs

14x1.25 Wilwood Aero6 calipers with 2-piece Wilwood rotor 26.3lbs

1 - 20 of 28 Posts