Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have read another thread about reducing noise inside 2000GT and removing the interior and installing dynomat or equivalent is very time consuming and expensive. THought maybe having Ziebart undercoating sprayed on the floor pans and wheel wells would be cheaper $149 for 32 pounds worth of material and much easier! Has anyone rustproofed their car and did it significantly reduce road noise?

·
Registered
176 Posts
bspstang, so you had this done on the interior of your car and it reduced interior noise? If so did the tar smell go away or does it linger forever?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Another alternative to using DynaMat for the floorboards, is Stinger's RoadKill Carpet Pad. IMO, this is much much better than DynaMat. This will require you to remove the interior, but it will drastically reduce road, tranny, tire and exhaust sounds. It took me about a day to do this. See sig for link to the site and more info.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Undercoating drastically reduces interior noise and protects the underside from the salt covered roads found almost everywhere, except in places like Atlanta. I had mine undercoated at Zeibert, make sure you tell them to remove the wheels before undercoating, they undercoated portions of my rims on the inside. Lazy people! They will also spray this clear sticky stuff in the interior of your car doors by cutting a hole in the door and sealing the hole with a black plastic plug. They also spray the clear sticky stuff around the top of your engine area on the sheetmetal, which you don't need to have done. Make sure you are very specific about what you want done and what they will do if they do something you didn't ask for!!! Ziebert is just a quick get them in shop where they do the same thing over and over and don't care about much except the clock.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The smell does go away but It takes about three weeks. The engine and wind noise are still just as bad, but the road noise is much better. I don't have to yell to talk at 80 mph any more.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your responses. At the Ziebart web site they indicate there is under coating and there is sound deadening ...I don't know if they are the same product, but I will give it a try next week. I plan to have them remove the wheels and put plastic bags around the brakes (to keep them clean) and cover the driveshaft with AL foil (to prevent the material from throwing it out of balance). I' ll let you kow what happens.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
we had that done to the family van and that smell lingered for like a year, but it was rarely driven within that year so that might have had something to do with it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sort of off the topic but I say stay away from Ziebart, they did $1800 worth of damage on my vehicle and it took the body shop 3 times to get the color right. I was without my daily driver for over a month. If you can I would suggest having someone else do the work.
Good Luck

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update!

Had Marietta Auto Trim remove the interior (seats, carpet, door and all other plastic panels, console, rear seats, etc.) and glue in a layer of 5/8 jute everywhere including trunk ($350 total) except the headliner since it was glued in place. This made the car sound solid when the doors were closed, made the stereo sound clearer and reduced interior noise. Not as quiet as a Lexus, but much better than before!

Had Ziebart undercoating spray a ~40 mil coating in the wheel wells, floor pans, gas tank cover and all easily accessible floor pan metal essentially behind the firewall and under the car ($150). Did not spray inside doors or engine bay or drill any holes to spray "inside" sheet metal. This reduced interior noise a little more than the jute...well worth the money! I bought some spray undercoating from Autozone and will thicken the coating and do a couple small area's they were afraid to treat (above drive shaft and lower part of the firewall).

The car is now "the way it shold have been from the factory" but not as quiet as a Lexus!

Can hardly hear the noisey stock Gatorbacks and plan on replacing them when they expire with the quieter and better performing Firestone Firehawk 250EP.

Any other suggestions for my 2000GT to reduce noise (besides not driving it like I stole it)?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update!

Had Marietta Auto Trim remove the interior (seats, carpet, door and all other plastic panels, console, rear seats, etc.) and glue in a layer of 5/8 jute everywhere including trunk ($350 total) except the headliner since it was glued in place. This made the car sound solid when the doors were closed, made the stereo sound clearer and reduced interior noise. Not as quiet as a Lexus, but much better than before!

Had Ziebart undercoating spray a ~40 mil coating in the wheel wells, floor pans, gas tank cover and all easily accessible floor pan metal essentially behind the firewall and under the car ($150). Did not spray inside doors or engine bay or drill any holes to spray "inside" sheet metal. This reduced interior noise a little more than the jute...well worth the money! I bought some spray undercoating from Autozone and will thicken the coating and do a couple small area's they were afraid to treat (above drive shaft and lower part of the firewall).

The car is now "the way it shold have been from the factory" but not as quiet as a Lexus!

Can hardly hear the noisey stock Gatorbacks and plan on replacing them when they expire with the quieter and better performing Firestone Firehawk 250EP.

Any other suggestions for my 2000GT to reduce noise (besides not driving it like I stole it)?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts