Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what my Hellion exhaust manifolds are starting to look like and I don't think I have more then 5,000 miles on the kit... so I was thinking about having them powder coated but was wondering if it would hold up with all the heat??

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
There are high temp ceramic powder coatings that will take turbo heat.
Jet-Hot and Chromex hold up nicely.
There are also cheaper flat black exhaust coatings.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Powder coat once cured can only withstand about 250^

·
Registered
830 Posts
oops!!

·
Registered
379 Posts
damn right, i would call their ass,nice people but for almost 4g's that #### better hold up:hammer:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Powdercoating will hold up fine on the intake pipes (I've got 10K miles on mine without issues) but you should have the exhaust ceramic coated.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Looks like the splatter from the welds is what is rusting. I wonder why the pieces aren't coated after the welding is done?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've decided to have them ceramic powder coated.... the guy said its good for 1400 degrees and it has a cool chrome finish should have them back in about a week or so.

·
Registered
42 Posts
damn right, i would call their ass,nice people but for almost 4g's that #### better hold up:hammer:
Looking at this guy's header bolts my first inclination is to say he doesn't maintain it very well. It looks like he is in either San Diego or Michigan. Salt water surely isn't your friend nor is Michigan's winters. I mean they use salt on the roads here in the winter. Every time I wash my car I give the underhood a quick spritzing as well. Just my $.02

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looking at this guy's header bolts my first inclination is to say he doesn't maintain it very well. It looks like he is in either San Diego or Michigan. Salt water surely isn't your friend nor is Michigan's winters. I mean they use salt on the roads here in the winter. Every time I wash my car I give the underhood a quick spritzing as well. Just my $.02
The cars never seen snow.... I bought the turbo kit drove the car for 2 months or so then it was garaged (non heated) for 2 years.... and thats what I came back to.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
The cars never seen snow.... I bought the turbo kit drove the car for 2 months or so then it was garaged (non heated) for 2 years....

Well, there you go..... :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts