Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my car is down again to install the supplemental trans harness I decided to re-route my wideband sensor wiring as I want it to be more accessible for future sensor replacements.

How does everybody have theirs routed? The 4R70W is wide and I think locating the sensors to the inside of the exhaust is not an option for me and they are currently on the outside of the pipe.

What is everybody else doing? I am thinking of just drilling some new holes in the floor boards.

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
I don't have an automatic transmission but I ran my wideband cables up each side of my transmission and through the shifter console. Underneath the car, I used magnets from Magdaddy https://magdaddyusa.com/ to keep the cables away from the exhaust system.

I hope this helps
Michael Plummer

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool idea.
which products did you use and are they just stuck to the bottom of the floor pan?
What prep is involved?
Remove the undercoating?

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
Q. which products did you use and are they just stuck to the bottom of the floor pan?
A. I used these https://magdaddyusa.com/products/cable-holders/cable-holder-5/ and I just stuck them to the outside of the transmission tunnel. Making sure the wideband cables didn't touch the exhaust or the tranny.

Q. What prep is involved?
A. Great question, no prep. These magnets are SUPER strong.

Q. Remove the undercoating?
A. I have no undercoating but if the magnet won't stick then you'll have to remove some of it

I hope this helps
Michael Plummer

·
Registered
92 Posts
Michael, how did you go through the shifter console? I'm guessing you had to drill a hole somewhere.

I run the 8' extension cables from the passenger side kick panel through a hole (with a rubber grommet) I drilled in the firewall. I then go up the firewall and locate the wideband-to-extension cable connections from each sensor at the top where they can be easily unplugged. The driver side cable runs across the top of the firewall first. I like your idea to use shorter extensions and keep more things out of the engine bay.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I also went throught the tunnel. I brought the passenger o2 wire over the trans and then both along the side and up through the rear of the shifter opening. There was a hole in the rear center of the opening looked like it was for speed nut, that I opened up, so that i had a U shaped opening. I relieved the metal frame on the gasket and the 2 wires fit through nicely

Attachments

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
There is another hole in fox bodies next to the ecm harness hole. I went along the firewall and dropped them down the middle of the bellhousing.

My gauges are in the center console so the excess is in a big Ziploc bag under the passenger side rug. I spread it pretty thin bought it up by the heater box.

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
Michael, how did you go through the shifter console? I'm guessing you had to drill a hole somewhere.
Hey John,
No drilling holes. I don't have the metal plate covering the shifter as ROSS95COBRA has in his car. I currently use X-Mat (https://www.eastwood.com/x-mat) in that area as a barrier for heat and sound.

FYI,
If you go thru the tunnel you can use the shorter 3ft sensor harness :wink2:

I hope this helps
Michael Plummer

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got some of those magnets and am rerouting through my shifter. Since I have an automatic, the shifter hole has lots of gap space for routing.
I am keeping the bulky wideband to controller connector under the car by the frame rail to make sensor swaps easy.

My previous routing was pretty stupid in hindsight. It had the bulky connector under the splash shield.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts