Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With a turbo setup, is it necessary to have 2 o2 sensors? I know the stock setup is 2 (non wideband of course) but it just doesn't seem necessary plus it would save me a lot of money to buy just one if I decide to tune the car myself.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Yeah, most people just use one...I did see, however, if you are interested and money is no object, FAST has a dual wideband kit - nice but pricey...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah ill just go with one i don't have any extra money to blow on this project.

btw, i was thinking of getting a megasquirt and a wideband to do some tuning on my current setup so I know what i'm doing by the time i toss on the turbo. I am going to use the MS just for fuel, so should i just choose a side to put it in for now?

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
yep, just stick it on either side, doesnt matter really unless
you have one cylinder on either side not running right.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
If you have a foxbody, the drivers side bank is the leaner of the two...so it would be the best place for the wideband.

I'd also strongly recommend using the megasquirts spark control...as the stock will not be suitable for turbo applications. There are some guys that did a pretty decent job converting the stock speed density spark table over to megasquirt. When it comes time for you to go turbo, your spark table can already be configured to pull spark in boosted portions of the table. Until then, you wont ever run in those areas of the table...so it will be transparent to you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are there any good pages out there for installing the MS for ignition and air/fuel on a mass air foxbody?

when you say i won't run in those areas of the table until i install the turbo, do you mean the MS will sense the boost and run in that area of the table? i didn't think the MS had a boost sensor, at least not stock.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Are there any good pages out there for installing the MS for ignition and air/fuel on a mass air foxbody?

when you say i won't run in those areas of the table until i install the turbo, do you mean the MS will sense the boost and run in that area of the table? i didn't think the MS had a boost sensor, at least not stock.
That’s the beauty of megasquirt, you don’t need to run mass air! If you have a MAF sensor already, you can sell it to re-coupe some of the costs of going with a megasquirt. For boosted applications, MAP is a far better method of control than MAF.

Megasquirt has a map sensor stock that is good up to 21psi of boost. If you need to go bigger, you’d have to pick up the bigger map sensor available and swap them out. So yes, megasquirt will sense the boost and run in that area of the table. Keep in mind that it can do much…much more. With the cheap available mod kits, you can easily add and control an electric fan, nitrous control, 2-step, traction control, anti-lag rev limiter, standard rev limiters, etc. If you get an electronic fuel or oil pressure gauge you can plumb that into the megasquirt and monitor/log them real-time. The same goes with wideband 02 and EGT sensors. It will do everything the stock computer can….and much more. In the end, you shouldn’t have to use anything from the stock computer.

Here is some basic instructions on how to set it up….. http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_articles/how_to_megasquirt_your_ford_mustang.htm

If you go with the EEC-IV adaptor kit that allows you to plug into the stock harness at the stock EEC-IV location, you’ll need to set it up accordingly… http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_articles/megasquirting_your_ford_with_the_MegaEFI_EEC-IV_adapter.htm

I also strongly advise reading…and re-reading the mega-manual here…. http://www.megamanual.com/index.html

Once you get to the point of needing a base spark table, let me know and I can hook you up with one that was converted from a stock speed density EEC-IV. You will have to tweak the boosted areas of the table (pull out more timing) as I am running aluminum heads that allows more timing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So it is set up to use a map but you still need to buy a gm map sensor right?

Looking in the instructions for the adapter, it says you need to harvest the connector and case from the stock ecu, will i still be able to put the stock ecu back together? (in case i can't get the MS working correctly and need to use my car).

so what i need: MS II kit, wideband 02, map sensor?, eecIV adapter, relay cable, and maybe the stimulator for testing purposes. sound about right?

Thanks a lot millhouse, i will contact you for that config info when the time comes.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
So it is set up to use a map but you still need to buy a gm map sensor right?

Looking in the instructions for the adapter, it says you need to harvest the connector and case from the stock ecu, will i still be able to put the stock ecu back together? (in case i can't get the MS working correctly and need to use my car).

so what i need: MS II kit, wideband 02, map sensor?, eecIV adapter, relay cable, and maybe the stimulator for testing purposes. sound about right?

Thanks a lot millhouse, i will contact you for that config info when the time comes.
Nope, it comes with it's own map sensor.

As for the connector and case, you can find one out of any 4cyl or 8 cyl mustang out of the 80's....or any other EEC-IV computer out of any vehicle.

Subtract the map sensor and that sounds about right. You'll also need a computer with a serial port as well as the serial cable. If you only have a USB, the sell USB to serial adaptors along with drivers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh the map sensor is onboard, so must just run a hose to it then. didn't see the map sensor in the package anywhere, heh.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was looking at the innovate wideband kits on the diy site and it seems like they come with some extra stuff, do i even need the serial cable or that other one(for lack of better description)? I saw a couple ebay that have just the sensor and the cable that is connected to it. don't want to spend $100+ for stuff i may not need.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I was looking at the innovate wideband kits on the diy site and it seems like they come with some extra stuff, do i even need the serial cable or that other one(for lack of better description)? I saw a couple ebay that have just the sensor and the cable that is connected to it. don't want to spend $100+ for stuff i may not need.
The serial ports allow you to daisy chain multiple lc-1’s or other devices for easy hookup. It’s a nice feature, and myself only use one serial port for the xd-16 gauge. Unless you plan on spending some big money though…most won’t ever use but the one (if you go with the xd-16).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I'm thinking I might just monitor my afr with the megatune software instead of paying the extra $100 or so for the gauge. Plus I want to keep the stock look inside the interior, but if i wanted to i could find a discrete location for the gauge.

If I use the eecIV adapter, will everything still use the stock fuse box or should i get one of these:

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I'm thinking I might just monitor my afr with the megatune software instead of paying the extra $100 or so for the gauge. Plus I want to keep the stock look inside the interior, but if i wanted to i could find a discrete location for the gauge.

If I use the eecIV adapter, will everything still use the stock fuse box or should i get one of these:
Yep, the stock fusebox should work just fine without the need for the relay board.

·
Registered
522 Posts
If you are getting a MS and going to use a wideband, you don't need to buy any O2 sensors. Unless I missed something when reading the megamanual (hope I didn't because the install is about done) you really just run a wideband or narrowband o2s, not both.

I'm sure Millhouse will correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
If you are getting a MS and going to use a wideband, you don't need to buy any O2 sensors. Unless I missed something when reading the megamanual (hope I didn't because the install is about done) you really just run a wideband or narrowband o2s, not both.

I'm sure Millhouse will correct me if I'm wrong.
Yep, just one wideband is needed...nothing else. :cool:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Sounds right--mine came to 657---and that was without a wideband or the eec IV adaptor.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts