Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where should i have my wideband bung welded on a turbo setup and does anyone have pics where they put theirs.and also can you run underdrive pulleys with a turbo?thanks

·
Authorized corral.net Advertiser
3,684 Posts
put it 12-18inches downstream from the turbo in the downpipe!

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Underdrive pulleys are for the naturally aspirated folks pushing like 225-300HP. Man this is the turbo forums you dont need .5-2hp gain when your gona be blowing 9lbs or more through your motor making but loads of power! My wideband is mounted appox 24" from my turbo.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just wondering cause i would have to look for my stock pulleys but i know where the underdrive pulleys are off hand when i took them off to install my supercharger.

·
Registered
685 Posts
put it 12-18inches downstream from the turbo in the downpipe!
I know your response is the general consensus about 02 placement but why is that considered a good place. I put both my bungs in the crossover from drivers side because the drivers side (5,6,8) have long always been the problem cylinders. How do you know what cylinders are rich or lean when you're taking your reading from a location where all 8 cylinders have mixed and gone through a turbine that burns excess fuel it makes no sense to me. The key to ultimate hp is to have each cylinder run right. Please don't take this response as me against you, I only responded because I know if anyone can explain it from experience and not theory its you.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats very interesting,i never thought about it like that.now im kinda curios about that also.

·
Registered
685 Posts
thats very interesting,i never thought about it like that.now im kinda curios about that also.
That dp placement has been bothering me for years (even though I had a s/c), on my s/c setup I had bungs on #5 #8 tubes. Car always made more hp than similar equip cars too go figure. Its common sense when you think about it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The backpressure and increased heat build up between the headers and turbo(s) shortens the life of the wideband sensor. I went through a couple of them until I figured this out. You can tell if the cylinders are rich or lean by reading the plugs.

·
3,684 Posts
I know your response is the general consensus about 02 placement but why is that considered a good place. I put both my bungs in the crossover from drivers side because the drivers side (5,6,8) have long always been the problem cylinders. How do you know what cylinders are rich or lean when you're taking your reading from a location where all 8 cylinders have mixed and gone through a turbine that burns excess fuel it makes no sense to me. The key to ultimate hp is to have each cylinder run right. Please don't take this response as me against you, I only responded because I know if anyone can explain it from experience and not theory its you.
are you talking about putting the sensor BEFORE the turbo in the header??? If so, that will not work because you will have backpressure prior to the turbo and that will change the way the 02 sensor reads CONSIDERABLY .. that was the first thing i learned in advanced EFI training by Greg Banish..

To answer your question about 5,6, and 8... well, nothing replaces reading plugs... and btw, if your cylinders 5,6, and 8 are lean, how are you adding fuel to these cylinders?? I posted my advise based off tuning with the factory ecu which wont allow you to do individual cylinder trims anyhow.

·
3,684 Posts
thats why ya need a pms! :evilgrin:
good luck with that! I hope revision 1824523 finally got the individual cylinder trims correct...

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the pic,looks great.

·
Registered
125 Posts
To answer your question about 5,6, and 8... well, nothing replaces reading plugs... and btw, if your cylinders 5,6, and 8 are lean, how are you adding fuel to these cylinders?? I posted my advise based off tuning with the factory ecu which wont allow you to do individual cylinder trims anyhow.
I couldn't have said it better myself, Bob! All we can really do is tune to a reasonable average and make sure there is an adequate safety margin.

For the record, Oxygen sensors work off the partial pressure of the Oxygen molecule. Increased overall pressure (exhaust backpressure) obviously increases the O2 molecules' partial pressure as well, so that skews the readings. There's a big pressure drop across the turbine, so downstream is usually best for accuracy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts