Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have changed everything and can't get this car to 60' for nothing. First the car, '91 coupe weighing 2900#, upr anti roll bar, upr lowers with bushings, double adjustable uppers with heim joints, 4.10's with 28x11.5 ET streets and stock rear springs and 50/50 lakewoods. Front was stock springs, and k member with 90/10's, It now has a tube k member with 14x150# coilovers but has not been run since the swap. For power, its just a H/C/I car with a 5spd. and a 150 shot. Best 60' so far is @ 1.70-1.75 on the spray and 1.80's on motor. Car goes 11.20's on the spray, but I think it may go high 10's with a better 60'. This is how the car left befor the ARB. What do you guys think?

http://www.ssracingphotos.com/gallery/8079033_AQJ8k#526358257_5ccQx-XL-LB

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sorry, I dont have a video. I'm glad you chimed in on this Kevin, I don't know what the pinion angle is and I need to set it but do you think that there is that much to be gained? Hey i do have a video if you have an email address.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I don't know what you're doing wrong. Looks killer in the photo... not leaving squarely, but a preload adjustment to the anti-roll bar should cure this. I'm guessing it hooks and bogs? Prolly the clutch. Too much clutch. It needs to slip to allow the engine to stay in the power band.
I built and help tune an NHRA Stock Eliminator Mustang. It runs 12.17 at 108 and we are creeping up on the tune. 60' is about 1.56. This is on a 9" slick. You should be killing this time! We run a Liberty pro shifted doug nash with a McLeod soft loc clutch. Only have a couple turns in it and no counter weight. The clutch needs to slip!!!!

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The ARB was not on the car in the pic, the car leaves perfectly straight now and only pulls the wheels @3 or 4" but still doesn't 60'? I try to leave @ 4700-5000 but it still chops the tires at the hit with 13psi. I don't think the clutch is slipping either, it is (i think) a stage 2 Zoom.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hard to tell without a video. But my guess is clutch. Everybody is sold the biggest, meanest clutch with the most holding power money can buy... but that is all wrong. Why such a low rpm launch? We leave on the chip between 6400 and 6700. Like I said in earlier post, I bet the car bogs 'cuz the clutch drags it down. If that is the case, you need to slip the clutch off the line or leave at a much higher rpm and hope for a little controlled spin.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
Lose the ET Streets for a set of ET Drags. I was running the best I could on ET Streets @ 1.60 short times. Went to a 26X10 ET Drag this weekend, and yanked a 1.47

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lose the ET Streets for a set of ET Drags. I was running the best I could on ET Streets @ 1.60 short times. Went to a 26X10 ET Drag this weekend, and yanked a 1.47
Yeah, I would like to lose the ET streets but I street drive the car still. Hell, it has been driven to the track every time and has never been trailered. Next time out I am going to take my buddys slicks and see if they help me, also I am thinking about trying the Hoosier QTP's next. Any input?

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
Yeah, I would like to lose the ET streets but I street drive the car still. Hell, it has been driven to the track every time and has never been trailered. Next time out I am going to take my buddys slicks and see if they help me, also I am thinking about trying the Hoosier QTP's next. Any input?
I drive mine 200 miles a week. I swap my street wheels out at the track. I drive my car to the track 60 miles each way. I run a regular street tire on the car normally, but when it comes track time, I put on a real set of slicks when I get there.:)

·
Registered
491 Posts
If you put a hard clutch in it....go ahead and order a transmission. I ran a motorsport king cobra for 12 years with a t5.....went to a ceramic clutch and scattered it within a year. Now I have a full circle kevlar clutch and a TKO.

Didn't see a cage mentioned anywhere....I dropped .15 in my 60' just from the cage install. Doesn't matter whatelse you have, if its twisting your losing time.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll try it and report back. How do you guys feel about the Hoosiers? I have heard that the ET streets don't even compare.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you put a hard clutch in it....go ahead and order a transmission. I ran a motorsport king cobra for 12 years with a t5.....went to a ceramic clutch and scattered it within a year. Now I have a full circle kevlar clutch and a TKO.

Didn't see a cage mentioned anywhere....I dropped .15 in my 60' just from the cage install. Doesn't matter whatelse you have, if its twisting your losing time.
It has an 8pt. moly cage in it. If you look at the pic real close you can see it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Jay,
I just watched your videos... IMO, if you want to run some numbers, you need to get a truck and a trailer and head to the track. Stop worrying about breaking the car! You have to drive it like you hate it!!
Nice 3rd gear burnout, pull to the line and when the lights start coming down put it on the 2-step. Buy the 5k to 6k set of chips and start at the highest one and work down IF it spins violently. After it hooks and gets moving hit the spray. Takes lots of laps to figure out what works, but with practice you will get there. Those ET Streets (if they are fairly fresh) will get you a decent time. Your 60' should be in the mid 1.6's, I'm guessing.
GET EVIL with that car and it'll do what you want it to!!

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Greg, I know that I need to be a little more agressive with the car. I to think that 1.6-1.5 60's are there. that video was also before the H/C/I as well.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Jay,
Takes lots of laps to figure out what works, but with practice you will get there. Those ET Streets (if they are fairly fresh) will get you a decent time. Your 60' should be in the mid 1.6's, I'm guessing.
GET EVIL with that car and it'll do what you want it to!!
If he's going 11.20s now, mid 1.6s isn't enough. He needs mid 1.5s at a minimum and actually since its a 5 speed, should be in the mid 1.4s to see those mid to high 10 second slips.

New ET Drags might help, but I think you've still got some suspension things to iron out to get it all working together.

Did Kevin plot it for you?

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If he's going 11.20s now, mid 1.6s isn't enough. He needs mid 1.5s at a minimum and actually since its a 5 speed, should be in the mid 1.4s to see those mid to high 10 second slips.

New ET Drags might help, but I think you've still got some suspension things to iron out to get it all working together.

Did Kevin plot it for you?
No, Kevin has not really had any input yet. I ordered a new set of Hoosiers yesterday and i think they will help, I am also going to attempt to set the pinion angle today and the car has lost another 60-70# since last time out.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
The ARB was not on the car in the pic, the car leaves perfectly straight now and only pulls the wheels @3 or 4" but still doesn't 60'? I try to leave @ 4700-5000 but it still chops the tires at the hit with 13psi. I don't think the clutch is slipping either, it is (i think) a stage 2 Zoom.
i had a spec stg3 + clutch in my car last year and it wouldnt 60' would lift both tires on launch then just fall on it's face and best i could get was a 1.78 60' swap to a spec stg 2+ and now my car 1.61 60' ( leaving at 5500 ) with a blown posi after i get it fixed should 1.5xx 60' no problem
and BTW i run 26x11.5 ET streets and love them

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The clutch I run is comparible to spec stg.2. I just got a new set of Hoosier QTP's yesterday and hope to get the pinion angle set before Friday and I plan to take the car back out then.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts