Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a Vortech on my car that I bought new 10 years ago. I've had zero issues with it....but I've reached the point where it just won't push enough air.

Tell me why I should sell it and go turbo rather than ship it back and upgrade it to an S-trim.

I figure the upgrade will cost about $1K and I might be able to sell my Vortech for $1K....so that gives me about $2K to spend on a turbo.....can it be done for that amount?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
299 Posts
I was in the same perdicument you are in now about 3 years ago.

I ended up selling my vortech to help pay for the start of the turbo. I sold my vortech that was only 3years old for 1500$
I'm still wrapping up the turbo install, and this is my 3rd summer without driving the car. I'm getting very impassient.

It has taken me way longer than it should have. I find my self doing other improvment on the way that arent really need, but I'm like " while I have this out I should problebly replace this, and maybe this too while i'm at it"
If I would have stuck to just the turbo install I would have been done in a summer, and could have had it finished for around $2500 minimum.
I'm sitting around $4000 right now with all the extra project it did along the way.

here is a basic cost list of what it should have cost me.
Turbo. 1200$ So the vortech basiclly paid for that. I spend a good amount on a good turbo, But you could pick a 60mm powermaster up for around 600$

Piping cost 400$ DIY style flipped shorties.

Ebay intercooler $250

injectors 42lbs. 250$

Pmas maf sensor 250$

Blowoff valve I spent about 250$ on a 50mm tial, but you dont need to go that pricey.

wastegate I spent 350$ on a 44mm tial, Same as above you dont need to spend that much.

and misc stuff like oil lines and plugs and so on. Maybe another 300$.

Now it has been a very long road and I hope the wait is worth it. The way people talk about turbod 5.0l's I should not be mad at my decision to change.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I've had my turbo for five years now, and I will never do a supercharger after this. The feeling of driving a turbo is off the hook. I don't believe you will be able to do a turbo for 2K though. If you get the right setup you'll love it.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
If cost is the driving factor, then just upgrade your S-trim

If power, torque and speed are the factor, then get a turbo set-up.

Why? cause it will make more of all three.

If you are mechanically inclined and have all the tools, you can do a simple yet
VERY effective DIY turbo set-up for about $2,000 parts

Mp T-70 turbo ........... $700
good intercooler ......... $400
BBK headers .............. $150
Tial w/g ................... $300
Tial BOV ................... $250
misc. piping & parts .... $500

$2,250 or just get a B&G or Quicktime kit for about $3k

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya, I've thought about building my own kit....that would probably be the way I'd do my first one.

If I'm going 10.90's with my a-trim....what do you think is a reasonable expectation out of a 70mm turbo? I've got the fuel system already in the car to support way more power than I'll ever make....

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Ya, I've thought about building my own kit....that would probably be the way I'd do my first one.

If I'm going 10.90's with my a-trim....what do you think is a reasonable expectation out of a 70mm turbo? I've got the fuel system already in the car to support way more power than I'll ever make....
well whats done to the motor?? depending on what you have for H/C/I you could hit high 9's. its been done before with a t-70.

also you can launch with boost if you run a 2step which you cant with a s/c. I can build a full boost and launch with it.... tires dont hold it but if they did.. wow lol

when do you see full boost with the a trim? with the correct turbo/housing you can have full boost at or before 3000.

I think a turbo car is WAY more fun to drive.

just as a example, Im running 120 mph in the qtr with a stock longblock and only 9psi spring in the wastegate. I picked up 19mph with the turbo and thats with the WAY wrong tire/gear combo, and having to lift or shift 5th right before the finish.

Im willing to bet good money NO s/c could match the results as my little 62mm.. I would be willing to give the s/c a few psi advantage lol

·
Registered
299 Posts
If I'm going 10.90's with my a-trim....what do you think is a reasonable expectation out of a 70mm turbo?
what PSI are you runnin on the a-trim. I'm amazed with 10.9 with the little supercharger out there.

When I ran my a-trim I got nowhere near those numbers.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Real world here:
Swapped out my s trim for a 72 mm turbonetics, that was the ONLY change. Just got back from the dyno, with a even safer tune then it had with the blower, 6 degrees LESS total timing, and about the same boost....it made 25 rwhp more and over 100, yes 100 ft/lbs more. Conditions were almost the same, s trim it was 90 outside, today was 89. Pretty sure the turbo setup cost less then I had into the blower setup too. Yes I could of pushed it much harder, chose not to because I'd like it to last a little bit until I can go aftermarket block.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is sounding better by the day.

The motor is a stock short block....good blower cam, high ports, tfs-r intake, 75mm tb. Crane ignition, Aeromotive everything fuel system...-10 up, -8 back....42lb injectors enough? Still on pump gas.

Ive got the A-traim WAY past maxed out. Its pulleyed to make 13psi....it doesn't, maybe 10 at launch and then it drops to 5 or less....heads and intake flow way more air than that little a-trim could push.

So....whats the first step to building a turbo kit? Pick a head unit and intercooler and start connecting the dots???

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
good blower cam does NOT allways mean good turbo cam..

you are prolly goona want different rear gears, most blower cars run stiff gears and turbos seem to like "smaller" gears like 3.27s or 3.55s

as for where to start it really depends on how good you can fab/weld. for me I cant weld pretty enough (they hold but thats it lol) so I bought headers/downpipe and did the rest myself.

Not sure on the 42s, some have made enough power to split the stock block with them and some have run out of injector first.. 42s max out around 500hp

·
Registered
687 Posts
All else being the same, you could install a turbo on your car and tune it to it's exact current state, run exactly the same amount of boost and the turbo motor will convincingly outpower the blower motor. Also, the torque curve will be completely different, with turbo motor's torque coming on like a freight train much earlier in the rpm band than that of your a-trim. You will not regret the decision to go turbo provided you do it right and don't try to cut corners. Good luck with your decision.

·
4,305 Posts
I've got a Vortech on my car that I bought new 10 years ago. I've had zero issues with it....but I've reached the point where it just won't push enough air.

Tell me why I should sell it and go turbo rather than ship it back and upgrade it to an S-trim.

I figure the upgrade will cost about $1K and I might be able to sell my Vortech for $1K....so that gives me about $2K to spend on a turbo.....can it be done for that amount?

Thanks!!
Personally I'd just upgrade the Vortech and you probably could do it even cheaper via picking up a slightly used better model Vortech and selling your old one. Or I'd sell the Vortech and pick up a Novi 2k

1 - 16 of 16 Posts