Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is odd that the IRS suspension is not a option on GT models.
Solid rear axle setup dates back to 1960's.
Mustang is the only performance car on the market that does use independant suspension.
I realize most of you will claim it is stronger and the perferred setup for drag racing.
Not everyone can afford Cobra in order to have IRS.
For road courses ( SCCA ) IRS is perferred.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think the GTs handle very well without the IRS. The IRS tends to add more weight which in turn can hurt handling.

I think Ford has always wanted a well strong distinction between the GTs and Cobras. The IRS helps define this distinction along with the DOHC engine and the new SC for '03. SVT does alot more for Mustangs then SLP does for the F-bodies, that's for sure.

I guess the question for me is why is the SC not an option for GT? :mad:

·
Registered
189 Posts
A good driver with plenty of ability can deffinitely make up for the lack of IRS. As for the all-around, I'ld prefer the solid as my car sees just as much if not more time on the dragstrip as it does on road courses. Besides, solid is stronger and less likely to break.
:D

·
Registered
161 Posts
Its a very straight forward swap, and can be done much cheaper than Ford would charge you for it. There are several IRS guys that want to get rid of it.

As to why no option. Well thats an easy one Ford wants distiction between its line. Do you honestly believe Ford could get away charging the 8k more for just a 4v engine and some bigger brakes? Wait a minute they did :) At least in 01 they got better seats also.

·
Registered
76 Posts
svtcobradan said:
It is odd that the IRS suspension is not a option on GT models.
Solid rear axle setup dates back to 1960's.
Mustang is the only performance car on the market that does use independant suspension.
I realize most of you will claim it is stronger and the perferred setup for drag racing.
Not everyone can afford Cobra in order to have IRS.
For road courses ( SCCA ) IRS is perferred.
Uhhh, the vettes use IRS, so do many other performance cars.

An IRS equipped car can run great times at the drag strip (granted it has been solidified to take that kind of abuse). The IRS in the Cobra needs a brace, and maybe some half shafts, to equip it well for the drag strip. The Vette comes with an IRS that does double duty straight from the show room floor.

I've had a 2000 GT before my 01 Cobra... The difference in ride quality is substantial. The IRS in my opinion is the way to go.

I just got Nitto's on my rear wheels, and that took care of alot of the wheel hop issues. Its a simple equation... More traction = less wheelhop. Next I will get a brace, and it should be virtually gone.

After that, I will have a car that handles great (Yes, the IRS does improve handling) and will be able to launch pretty hard (It already launches much better than my auto GT ever did).

Check out the prices for the IRS from Ford... You will see why they dont offer it as an option. They must have figured that the market segment they are trying to attract with the GT wouldn't pay for the difference, therefore Ford would never recoup the initial costs of being able to offer it as an option for the GT (It would cost them money to alter production lines, etc).

If you want one, there are probably plenty of die hard drag racers on this board with cobras waiting for someone to make an offer for a swap (I'm definitely not one of them!). Just make sure you do so before they all realize they can keep their IRS's and still get respectable 60' times.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Re: Re: Why no IRS as option in GT?

01ConvCobra said:

Uhhh, the vettes use IRS, so do many other performance cars.

An IRS equipped car can run great times at the drag strip (granted it has been solidified to take that kind of abuse). The IRS in the Cobra needs a brace, and maybe some half shafts, to equip it well for the drag strip. The Vette comes with an IRS that does double duty straight from the show room floor.

I've had a 2000 GT before my 01 Cobra... The difference in ride quality is substantial. The IRS in my opinion is the way to go.

I just got Nitto's on my rear wheels, and that took care of alot of the wheel hop issues. Its a simple equation... More traction = less wheelhop. Next I will get a brace, and it should be virtually gone.

After that, I will have a car that handles great (Yes, the IRS does improve handling) and will be able to launch pretty hard (It already launches much better than my auto GT ever did).

Check out the prices for the IRS from Ford... You will see why they dont offer it as an option. They must have figured that the market segment they are trying to attract with the GT wouldn't pay for the difference, therefore Ford would never recoup the initial costs of being able to offer it as an option for the GT (It would cost them money to alter production lines, etc).

If you want one, there are probably plenty of die hard drag racers on this board with cobras waiting for someone to make an offer for a swap (I'm definitely not one of them!). Just make sure you do so before they all realize they can keep their IRS's and still get respectable 60' times.
I totally agree! The IRS is a very substantial upgrade from a solid axel. No doubt about it. Now with that said:

IF you are a pure drag racer, then a solid is preferrable.
But these guys on here that want to make themselves feel better by telling you that a solid axel mustang can handle as well in an autoX situation as well as an IRS equipped Cobra are smoking crack. (sorry dudes, but self-delusion will get you nothing).

I owned a 99t and I can tell you that compared to that, my 01 cobra handles as if your turning a boat on water. I LOVE my IRS and would never go back. All an IRS needs is the PHP brace & some sticky tires (add some eibach springs too to help).

Now you can put alot of money into either type of rear to improve the missing charaistics of the other, but it will get pretty costly either way. It all depends on what your needs are...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've heard of some griggs equipped fox bodies handling themselves pretty damn good on a few road courses. All that with their jurassic live axle. Saying that a live axle mustang could never handle like an irs car is a misinformed statement. That said,I love my independent rear car and would not even compare it to a stock gt suspension. I had a 01 gt and it rode like 2 tires were flat compared to this car.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
TTAFB_SVT said:
I've heard of some griggs equipped fox bodies handling themselves pretty damn good on a few road courses. All that with their jurassic live axle. Saying that a live axle mustang could never handle like an irs car is a misinformed statement. That said,I love my independent rear car and would not even compare it to a stock gt suspension. I had a 01 gt and it rode like 2 tires were flat compared to this car.
comprehension is a skill.

I never said that the solid axel couldn't handle as well as an IRS. I believe it is done often (saleen, roush, KB, etc. ?). I said in my above statement that you could spend the necessary money to correct the things that fall short when comparing one to the other.
Remember the golden rule: money gets you everything you want.

with that said: out of the box a solid axel will not be able to handle as well as an IRS equipped car, regardless of driver. and it certainly will not drive as smoothly either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts