Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought turbo cars were quite. Some of my friends with built motor turbo cars are not as loud as mine, i dont get it.. i really dont even hear the turbo spool under boost, (with my foot in it) just my ehaust and what seems to be alot of motor noise.

Even at idle its pretty loud. I guess my ?? is does anyone else feel they have a loud turbo car and if so what did you do to quite it down?

What i would like is it have it grand national quite so i can creep up on some people and then blow there doors off lol..

·
Registered
61 Posts
I feel the same way. My exhaust is really loud unless its at idle. My exhaust is basically the same setup too, just an S.S.S. catback instead.

I've been wanting to do a single 3" pipe that dumps or side exits by the axle, but that will probably be ridiculously louder.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Everyone tells me that my car is soooo sleeper till I get on it and the wastegate opens up to atmosphere.

Is your wastegate open or back to the downpipe?

·
Registered
150 Posts
You could run some kind of chambered muffler like an aero chamber but turbo cars like straight threw mufflers.

When my wastegate opens it gets freaking loud.I'm going to plumb wastegate pipe into my exhaust to fix this.

·
Registered
295 Posts
And to think I wanted to put my Downpipe thru the fender... thank god I didn't!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

·
Formerly eades5.0
4,716 Posts
Open wastegates are loud and I personally DO NOT like the sound, I just like Turbo/BOV noise :)

Is that what it is Omar?
Your exh setup should be pretty quite imop.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Its the dump tube and the Y pipe.
If you recirculate the dump tube back into the exhaust and get rid of the "Y" pipe and use a str8 threw muffler it will be quite.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Why would the y pipe have anything to do with it. The dump tube on the wastegate is logically but the y pipe?? Not so much

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
525 Posts
exhaust

I actually run the same mufflers with the on 3 y pipe...The car is quiet at idle and cruising..Once the wastegate opens, thats when the exhaust note changes drastically!!!

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
If you have your waste gate open, you are running an unmuffled exhaust. You need to run that back into the regular exhaust stream.
My home built setup uses internal wastegate turbos going thru a catted H pipe thru a flowmaster cat back and it is quieter than a stocker.
Erich

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the good advice guys. I think I will try the gate 1st and try to plumb it back into the exhaust and see how is sounds.

How do I know if the gate is stuck open? Or has taken a ####?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Thanks for all the good advice guys. I think I will try the gate 1st and try to plumb it back into the exhaust and see how is sounds.

How do I know if the gate is stuck open? Or has taken a ####?
If gate is stuck open you will hear it. When the car is running stick your head under the car and listen for exhaust coming out of the dump tube or stick your hand in front of dump tube to see if you feel flow. Wastegate should only be open if car is boosting at the limit you have the spring for. Also if gate is stuck, the car will have trouble making boost.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Open wastegates are loud and I personally DO NOT like the sound
x2

i got mine routed to the downpipe
and now with the dynomax vt mufflers this thing sounds like a 302 with a small cam :angel:

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
On3 y pipe goes into a 2.5 piping and then through a set of magnaflow mufflers and of course thought the tips .
I run a 2 1/2" y to dual 3" magnaflows and it is quite. (not an on 3 kit).

Just make a muffler for the wg. I can hear my turbo whistling away lol.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts