Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
everyone say when getting a turbo or supercharger to get high gears, but why naturally aspirated cars that have the same horsepower as a boosted car with low gears have traction just as good as good as boosted cars with high gears so I don't see why?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Higher gear ratios put a heavier LOAD on the engine,.That load helps spool the turbo quicker. Low gears will also spool, but in 1st and 2nd you'll wrap through the RPMs faster than the boost builds.

P.S. There are VERY FEW N/A cars making the same HP as even a low-power turbocharged car.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I noticed the negative impact on my turbo car just from 3.73s to 4.10 gears.

With 3.73s and boost leaks I was still able to spool by 4500 or so in first gear, with 4.10s and no boost leaks im lucky to see boost by 5k rpms.

I swapped a full rear end into the car with a detroit locker, it just had 4.10s in it already for those of you wondering why the hell I had 4.10s in a turbo car.

Im swapping in some 3.27s so hopefully they will let me see some boost in first gear.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I noticed the negative impact on my turbo car just from 3.73s to 4.10 gears.

With 3.73s and boost leaks I was still able to spool by 4500 or so in first gear, with 4.10s and no boost leaks im lucky to see boost by 5k rpms.

I swapped a full rear end into the car with a detroit locker, it just had 4.10s in it already for those of you wondering why the hell I had 4.10s in a turbo car.

Im swapping in some 3.27s so hopefully they will let me see some boost in first gear.
Hmmm. Guess the 3.73s didn't work out as well as you thought? :)

Were you able to get any track info with the 3.73s before swapping to 3.27s? If you did, please update your thread with the data for future inquires.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Hmmm. Guess the 3.73s didn't work out as well as you thought? :)

Were you able to get any track info with the 3.73s before swapping to 3.27s? If you did, please update your thread with the data for future inquires.

lol, I cant say yet, still havent got the 3.27s in.

And no, unfortunately I was unable to do much, the car had exhaust leaks and isnt even tuned on full boost yet so I didnt really do anything but cruise around and try to fix issues.

Im taking it back next week for a full boost tune and he is throwing the 3.27s in for me...trying to do something like 15-17 psi.

With how retarded tight my converter is im sure I will be able to tell instantly how the 3.27s load the motor in 1st gear and if they truly do help.

Unfortunately my converter that was supposed to be a 3600-3800 stall is tighter than stock for some reason so thats not helping out of the hole so im pretty sure its still gonna be a dog with the 3.27s.

Anyways, I will report back after I get the 3.27s in and will pull up my old thread.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts