Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Tungsten said:
Dammit... the 3.08 was the stock gear for 1998 according to Ford's own specifications. The 2.73 was used in 1994/95 only. 3.27 was an option for all of those years.

Sheesh!!! Some people would argue about the color of the sky. :rolleyes:

All factory specs for the 1998 GT can be seen on my home page, where I have copied Ford's own list of specs/options for that year model.
Ahhhh... Weedhopper... you are only partially correct. The stock gears for 96-98 GT AODE was 3.08. The stock gears for 96-98 GT 5-spd. were 2.73. The high ratio option for either tranny was 3.27. Now what color is that sky again? :D

·
Registered
219 Posts
RED...NO BLUE... AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

·
Registered
552 Posts
A Team Mustang Engineer posted here once that there was also some minor exhaust port changes in 1998.

My 98 convertible has 3.08 gears.
I bet it is an automatic, right? BlueStang speaks truth, the automatics had a bit steeper ratio to help with a smaller first gear ratio.

·
Registered
402 Posts
BlueStangGT said:

Ahhhh... Weedhopper... you are only partially correct. The stock gears for 96-98 GT AODE was 3.08. The stock gears for 96-98 GT 5-spd. were 2.73. The high ratio option for either tranny was 3.27. Now what color is that sky again? :D
Aqua-marine, dammit!!! :D

Like I care what you 5-speed guys have anyway. Automatics rule, baby! <sigh> Well, you've got to give me points for enthusiasm and blatant denial. ;)

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
burlesonsnake said:
There is a metal tag (unless someone's been there and removed it) under one of the rear end cover bolts that tells the ratio.

Cool, I'll check it out. Its probably the 3.08 gear though. You guys are hillarious by the way. lol :D

·
Registered
658 Posts
Tungsten said:

Like I care what you 5-speed guys have anyway. Automatics rule, baby! <sigh> Well, you've got to give me points for enthusiasm and blatant denial. ;)
ROFL!!! Points given. That's OK Dave... I know you're jonesin' hard for a 5-speed, and heads, and headers, and intake.....

/me runs for cover

·
Registered
249 Posts
bsailors said:
RED...NO BLUE... AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH! Am I the only one who gets this? :-D:-D

·
Registered
253 Posts
2cammer97: i kept getting air pockets when i used the t fitting, so i tapped the top of the tstat housing and put the sensor in it. the metal is a little thin so i also used a alt. pulley nut on the inside of the tstat housing and tightened it down on to the sensors threads protruding into the housing. it worked fine after that:) you could just get a bullit intake as it has the provision for 2 sensors;)
yea it's actually pretty easy to put a 98 pcm in, just buy the pcm, the pats transeiver and module and bolt it all in! Hopefully i will get it tuned this sat! ill let you know the results if i do! good or bad?
Leon

·
Registered
213 Posts
ok. My metal tag on the rear cover says I have 3:08. Its a auto. I have seen a article on the heads for 98, that ford had three versions they played with??? This was in a MMFF mag I think?? I am going to look thru the old issues to find it. If I remember right the last change was suppose to be used in 99. If I can find the issue I will post it. I am old and my memory fads at times!!! lol..

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
So, what does this car run stock anyway in the quarter? How heavy is it? Just wondering.

·
Registered
277 Posts
So is the 97 computer with a Hypertech chip the same performance as a 98 computer with a Hypertech chip?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yup my 98 GT Auto had 3.08's in the rear stock when I got it, now it has 3.55's ! Definately a difference. But I had a friend that had a 96 GT Auto with 3.27's it was special order though ! Stock is 2.73 96-97 98 I believe was 3.08 that and the computer mod was the difference, oh and no damn strut tower brace ! :(:mad:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Cujo_64 said:
Yup my 98 GT Auto had 3.08's in the rear stock when I got it, now it has 3.55's ! Definately a difference. But I had a friend that had a 96 GT Auto with 3.27's it was special order though ! Stock is 2.73 96-97 98 I believe was 3.08 that and the computer mod was the difference, oh and no damn strut tower brace ! :(:mad:
NO! 96-98 gears are all the same. 5 speed = 2:73, auto = 3:08, optional for either is 3:27. PERIOD.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
82 Posts
well jeeese I guess that I might be wrong. But I know what I had in mine and what my old roommate had in his ! I didnt special order mine It came with it ! :p

·
Registered
213 Posts
oh ya, the color of the sky is white!

Not here. Its kinda dark and raining.:eek: lol

And I have 3:08's for about 4 more days. Then the 3:73's go in on Monday!!!!:evil:

21 - 40 of 44 Posts