Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've replaced my thermostat, waterpump, radiator, and radiator hoses and I continue to have this problem. The car runs very hot, near the "L" and it feels like the thermostat takes forever to open. When it does, the temp comes back down, but when I turn the car off, the reservoir is hissing, and overflowing with coolant. But I know the car is actually LOW on coolant cause my dash light comes on and the car has leaked coolant for a few days now. I wanna take the car to the track tomorrow, but I need to get this fixed soon. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
10 Posts
96's have a history of running hot. Some of us may call it 'over heating', but Ford calls it running on the warm side or normal. I have ready a lot of articles on this issue, but I'm not sure if Ford ever did a recall on the 96's. Anyone else know if there was ever a formal recall? I did hear of Ford SELLING an upgrade kit to help the 96's run toward the middle of the normal zone.. but the key here was that the owner had to pay for it. I'm hoping that some other's might have the answer to the recall. I have the same problem on days over 90 deg and running with A/C on. Never boiled over though.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well my car doesn't overheat, but it does end up pushing antifreeze out of the cap on top of the reservoir. And it doesn't matter the weather, it does this on 40 degree days and 90 degree days. Putting the a/c on helps a little, but it still ends up spewing antifreeze. The odd thing is if I refill the antifreeze, it'll stop doing it for maybe a day or so, then start up again. Is it possible that there is a lot of air in the cooling system? That is the only thing I can think of, but it is a recurring problem.

·
Registered
132 Posts
have any of you pressure tested your radiator cap? mine ran fine until i recked it. they put a new radiator in and also a new dash. when they put the dash in they kinked a heater core hose. which caused mine to blow the head gaskets. needless to say the heads are off now and getting ported and polished, 3 angle valve job and milled. but it is taking a forever and a day to get them done. you could have cracked gasket because before mine blew all the way the cap would hiss and i was filling the radiator up every two to three days. good luck. if all else fails some people where getting steeda radiators and it seemed to help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The '96 cooling system has a degas bottle which is supposed to elminate any air in the cooling system. You might check that out and make sure it is working properly.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Ford replaced the radiator on 96's if the owners complained a lot of hotter than normal engine temps. However, this occurred during hot weather. My 96 has never overheated but has reached the 'a' letter in 'normal' a couple of times. This was in extremely heavy stop and go traffic and with underdrive pullies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts