Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says... I've searched and cant find out exactly why I must use the upr or asp style. I see you need the hole for the bracket, which the ford delete doesnt offer. However I cant see the significance of mounting it that way. Can any one shed some light on this, preferably with pics? car is a stock 91 LX with all accessories minus the smog pump.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Exactly what Paulie said you need the threaded hole for alternator j bracket. I bought the SR smog delete pulley from American muscle it also has the hole worked just fine.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank yall. For any one looking in the future, now that I've installed the Vortech... Unless you want to spend time and aggravation to get no where, just buy the delete with the threaded hole (i.e. not the ford one). The way vortech mounts the alternator and the smog pump forces you to have the brace with a smog pump or delete set up. Otherwise nothing connects the two which means you can not get belt tension since you have no fixed pulley location on the alternator and smog.

I'm sure it's possible to modify a delete such as the ford one, however if you're looking for bolt on and go just get the UPR, or ASP style.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Thank yall. For any one looking in the future, now that I've installed the Vortech... Unless you want to spend time and aggravation to get no where, just buy the delete with the threaded hole (i.e. not the ford one). The way vortech mounts the alternator and the smog pump forces you to have the brace with a smog pump or delete set up. Otherwise nothing connects the two which means you can not get belt tension since you have no fixed pulley location on the alternator and smog.

I'm sure it's possible to modify a delete such as the ford one, however if you're looking for bolt on and go just get the UPR, or ASP style.
This is not entirely true. I have a "unique" setup in my 88, I will take a couple pics when I think of it and post them here. I can't even explain how it works, but it does. We used a curved bracket thingy for the alternator down low below the engine and even though it is a bitch to tighten the belt it all works.
Scott

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is not entirely true. I have a "unique" setup in my 88, I will take a couple pics when I think of it and post them here. I can't even explain how it works, but it does. We used a curved bracket thingy for the alternator down low below the engine and even though it is a bitch to tighten the belt it all works.
Scott
interested...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts