Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been combing forums and I noticed most guys are bypassing 67/70 and going straight to 76mm. When I look at Precision, Garrett, Turbonetics sites It looks like 70mm would fit most builds needs. Smallest most efficient sized turbo for your needs right?

Just curious...figured lag wouldn't be worth it unless your building for 850whp+. Is this accurate or is 76MM the way to go?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
T70 will spool much faster, t76 on 2v will be laggy. Look at my sig for hp and time with t70

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
T70 will spool much faster, t76 on 2v will be laggy. Look at my sig for hp and time with t70
Thanks for the reply.

Seen some autos with about 3k stall seeming not have any problem at all spooling a 76. From what I have read some of the new impeller designs negate a large portion of the spool issues. What also intrigue me is the fact that cars are trapping some impressive MPH on low boost....all that are single set-ups are running larger turbos.

Took a look at your thread a while back...quite the write-up and great job. 20lb and 91 Octane :eeek: no detonation?

·
Registered
584 Posts
A billet 70mm is actually perfect for most.. a lot iust go to a 76mm for the room to grow thing. Plus with a tbrake jt will not be laggy at all.

I was going to run a billet wheel comp turbo ct5x 8087mm . That's a midframe turbo. And I can promise on myset up it wouldn't be laggy like you think at all with a 4r with a brake.

Turbo forsale if you want it;-)

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

Seen some autos with about 3k stall seeming not have any problem at all spooling a 76. From what I have read some of the new impeller designs negate a large portion of the spool issues. What also intrigue me is the fact that cars are trapping some impressive MPH on low boost....all that are single set-ups are running larger turbos.

Took a look at your forum a while back...quite the write-up and great job. 20lb and 91 Octane :eeek: no detonation?
Thanks man, its been a journey. No detonation, just to be safe I throw in 1-2 gal of 100 and I do have meth injection.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
i know a guy doing twin 67's on a 2v looking for about 1200hp. im doing a garrett 80/87 myself looking for at least 800. 145+ traps are doable with the 2v. right now the record is about 164mph. the midframe and large frame turbos put down the power harder. spool is a non issue with a good converter setup. i never considered a 70mm. I did consider the billet 76 and was set on that for awhile. But spool difference between a 76 and an 80 is gonna be minimal, plus it uses a 1" larger outlet so I can run a 5" downpipe. The housing is also a twin scroll and is double ball bearing water cooled vs the single ball bearing of the standard precision 7675. Max HP rating is the same but I guarantee you the GT4508 is going to eat up a billet 76 all day even using a cast wheel. Numbers on a dyno sheet are misleading. You can have a 70mm car that has a huge powerband on paper, but put it next to a "laggy" 80-87mm on the highway and you will see who is really making power

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I went with the 7675 CEA turbo for my 2v but I have BS3 and a 4r with trans brake and a 2step so shouldn't have much lag but went with the 81 exhaust housing to try and bring spool time even quicker

1 - 7 of 7 Posts