Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wanted to know how many people are running there cars with no intercooler, i know you can get away with it at low boost which is what i might do......but just wanted to see how many people are actually running with out them

·
Registered
196 Posts
Not a good idea on a turbo.

·
Registered
675 Posts
i run 25 psi with no IC. I do run some meth though. the highest temps thru the traps are 110 degrees. starts off at 100 degrees and then drops into the 80's. then creeps to 110 at 7000rpm.

336ci with GT47-88 turbo. run's 9.0's all day, even got into the 8's last time out. usually i run 100 octane fuel. had some 100 and 116 in it last time out. I plan to run the same tune up with E85 next. tht will make things very cold in the cylinders.

·
Registered
120 Posts
High octane fuel and methanol injection are essential if you want to be safe with no intercooler. With out it iat's will be hot and you'll seriously increase the chances of detonation even with low boost numbers. Unless you're building a car that only runs at the track, you should always have an intercooler. Why are you considering not running one?

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Not a good idea on a turbo.
Turbos do not generate any more heat into the intake charge than an s/c
Boost is boost.

You can run no I/C up to about 8-10psi but it will hurt performance.
It's all in the tune, add more fuel and pull more timing out or run different fuels
Plenty of people running 10psi Vortechs with no I/C

You can get decent intercooler off ebay for $100

·
Registered
44 Posts
i dont have one yet, its getting tuned on tues by lidio- he says to get one y so i will, but i need to get it tuned b4 snow, so by spring i will get one. he says i will still be able to run 10psi but i should get one.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Turbos do not generate any more heat into the intake charge than an s/c
Boost is boost.

You can run no I/C up to about 8-10psi but it will hurt performance.
It's all in the tune, add more fuel and pull more timing out or run different fuels
Plenty of people running 10psi Vortechs with no I/C

You can get decent intercooler off ebay for $100

But they do create more heat under the hood, which heats everything else up. I definitely wouldn't run a pipe directly from the compressor outlet to the intake.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
But they do create more heat under the hood, which heats everything else up. I definitely wouldn't run a pipe directly from the compressor outlet to the intake.
Yes, but most newer turbo's seem to have a more efficient compressor design...and heat the air far less than a supercharger. The amount of extra heat in your engine compartment doesn't do much in terms of IAT's until you get into hot starts. Even then, the heatsoak is only there for a split second before cooler air is dominate in the system.

If you are running 8psi or lower an intercooler typically isn't needed (you don't see them on supercharger setups at those boost levels...and they typically heat the air up more than a turbo. To add to that, it is quite possible that the restriction by the intercooler at those lower boost levels can hurt the performance more than the extra cooling can make up for. There are many examples of folks running relatively low boost levels that yank their intercoolers and pick up a few mph and loose a few .1’s on their et’s. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for them…and the easiest/best time to do them is during the initial install. Do it once and do it right. Now, if you never plan on upping the boost or expanding your combo…you may not need one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts