Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I suppose this will start some sort of war, especially if the Windsor guys get ahold of it. But, which GT Mustangs (non-Cobra) are the fastest? From what I understand, the '99-'02s are the quickest stock Mustangs ever built, even faster than the old Shelbys and Boss Mustangs of the late 60's. But is it true that it is much easier to modify the 5.0's than the 4.6's and therefore they can be modded pretty easily to go faster? (i.e. no replacement for displacement)

Just a curious Mustang owner wanting some historic perspective.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Oh no, here we go...

I bet if you post this thread over in the Windsor forum you'll get the exact opposite opinions of what you'll get here in the Mod forum...we just had this big debate on our local mustang club Message board...it all came down to this:

stock for stock the 99+ GT's are probably faster than the 5.0s, the 96-98 GT's are kinda of limited by their heads...and it all came down to driver experience...

5.0's have a much greater, more available, and cheaper aftermarket to mod them out with, and they are easier to work on...

but with the right amount of money you can get either to go really fast, it just may be that the 5.0's are cheaper to do this to...

We had all sorts of 5.0 guys getting all agitated at us 4.6 guys on our local forum...I guess they just can't take it that their old pushrods aren't up to par (at least stock wise) to the cammers...they are all blown, rebuilt, NO2'ed, and modded so they are way faster than any of us 4.6's though so we really don't have much say in the matter...

·
Registered
329 Posts
If your looking for the hard and fast then (I could be wrong here, probably am, usaually are, screw it...I am) , I believe The 99+ do carry the highest bone stock RWHP dyno numbers of any Mustang GT or LX.
MM&FF just did an article on a GT350 vs. an 01GT, and the mod motor won the showdown.

As mentioned above were only limited by the aftermarket. After a few companies take the plunge then it will be on the car owners who gets to be the top dog.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts