613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a stick :D Brand New 2nd pass. 1.58 60ft 11.18 @ 119.87mph

Best 60ft of the weekend was 1.549.

275/50/15 NT555R's

·
Registered
10,681 Posts
doesn't everyone say the 17's are the ones that don't work?

i mean a 15 has sidewall flex...17 doesn't

badass picture nonetheless

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
nice runs, but don't you go like 1.51 and 11 oh's on the bfg's?
hahaha

Yes, Nittos do work to a point. Not usually as well and not nearly as consistent. Especially on a bad track surface.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hahaha

Yes, Nittos do work to a point. Not usually as well and not nearly as consistent. Especially on a bad track surface.
LOL

Zmax this past weekend was the worst track conditions we've had in 2 1/2 years. They were brand new and never tested on my car.

I ran a 1.58 / 1.56 / 1.54/ 1.58 60ft's with zero testing.

As for my BFG's on the same track I had a 1.55 / 1.53/1.58. Now that is on a truly tested tire on the same track.

I ran an 11.18 on Nitto's and a 11.17 on BFG's. Keep in mind the Nitto's are also on a heavier wheel and were brand new Full tread.

I'm mainly speaking of a mild Horsepower Stick car. Most guys say the 15"s won't work on a stick car.

Race weight 3015lbs.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nice runs, but don't you go like 1.51 and 11 oh's on the bfg's?
Not in the heat or at this years weight I haven't run 11.0's. But like my post above with zero testing I ran within a .01th of the BFG.

Here's another pic.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Yea, Zmax is not living up to be a great track yet. We will leave it at that. lol

I ran nittos for 3 years. Two of the years were on the 17" versions. I really tired to get them to work. I like a challenge. lol I could get good 60' out of them. But far and few between. I also do not have a drag dedicated car either. That makes a difference for sure. Differences in burn outs effected the tire as well. I am no pro driver or suspension tuner, that is for sure.

I am sure you can get them to work well for you. I bet you will see consistency will be the thing you are chasing down the most with them.

Get to a local track and do a nice comparison between the two. Would be interesting to see what you come up with. You can't beat real world results. :joy:

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Yea, Zmax is not living up to be a great track yet. We will leave it at that. lol

I ran nittos for 3 years. Two of the years were on the 17" versions. I really tired to get them to work. I like a challenge. lol I could get good 60' out of them. But far and few between. I also do not have a drag dedicated car either. That makes a difference for sure. Differences in burn outs effected the tire as well. I am no pro driver or suspension tuner, that is for sure.

I am sure you can get them to work well for you. I bet you will see consistency will be the thing you are chasing down the most with them.

Get to a local track and do a nice comparison between the two. Would be interesting to see what you come up with. You can't beat real world results. :joy:
I will be doing that soon enough. But I was doing back to back comparisons between the 2 tires this weekend and then some. I've had equal results with no time in the Nitto yet. Consistency is in the driver and chassis. If anything I think I will go faster at my local tracks which will hook better than zmax and actually have some traction down track.

·
Registered
318 Posts
My 275/40/17s were disgusting. The best sixty i got out of them was a 1.78. But in their defense,the local track (MAM) has far from a great rep for track prep. I just got lucky enough to run right after they resprayed the track on a night that there was an nhra event. Other than that everything was between 1.92 - 2.2 because of BAAAD tire spin...and this was in a stock stalled AOD.

I ended up buying a 15" MT ET Street...scary street driving, but I will only be running them at the track...my fingers are crossed

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My 275/40/17s were disgusting. The best sixty i got out of them was a 1.78. But in their defense,the local track (MAM) has far from a great rep for track prep. I just got lucky enough to run right after they resprayed the track on a night that there was an nhra event. Other than that everything was between 1.92 - 2.2 because of BAAAD tire spin...and this was in a stock stalled AOD.

I ended up buying a 15" MT ET Street...scary street driving, but I will only be running them at the track...my fingers are crossed
Not everyone will have the same results with the same tires for sure. My point of using these tires I'll keep to myself but I also wanted to prove they definetly can be functional. I have a lot of time in my car and it's possible to make them work.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Awesome stuff. I wish I was privy to the knowledge you guys have acquired (no doubt through hard work). When are you going to run straight up 275/50/15 cheapo radials? :D

·
Registered
318 Posts
Not everyone will have the same results with the same tires for sure. My point of using these tires I'll keep to myself but I also wanted to prove they definetly can be functional. I have a lot of time in my car and it's possible to make them work.
I definately agree that they can work. I was happy as hell that one run that I got them to stick. But I have tried all kinds of different tire pressures, burn outs, etc. But they only stuck that one time after they resprayed. So I am convinced that the lack of "awesome" track prep at my local track is the culprit. To try and be more consistent I decided to go with a different tire with a lot more sidewall (MT ET Street 28x11.5x15) to try and help.

Btw...those pics are awesome. My goal next year is to yank the fronts

·
Banned
199 Posts
I've seen alot of guys burn there money up using nittos, switch to a m/t dr and stall the car on launch. lol But hey the Nitto cell phone grip I got at Zmax grips my cell phone really good, now if the tires would do that.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts