Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to see how reliable bolting a turbo on my 94 cobra would be.

the car just needs more power, but i want to keep the streetability.

also,

What is the combo you have and what is the power/track time etc etc

thanks

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
The biggest issue I see with a turbo on a DD type car is heat. If you can manage the heat under the hood you should really have no issues. Because if you can't control the heat you can have a engine that gets hot or over heats and you can melt wiring and/or hoses. And possibly burn up wining and such. Keep the heat in the tubing will give you the best shot at making the car problem free. That is assuming the turbo kit is designed well and built correctly. Because if the header flanges warp, V band connections fail or leak, turbo moves because it is un supported, etc all can cause you big headaches.

The other thing is keeping your foot out of the gas so the gas consumption will not change much. haha

·
Registered
854 Posts
Heat is right. I dd's mine with a vortech no problem. Went turbo and didn't get wrap or a blanket. Melted numerous boots as well as destroying my alt and pip in the dizzy from the heat. In the end I ended up buying wrap and a blanket. Thats all that matters.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
i put about 2000-2500 miles on my kit. in about 3 months, during hot summer months. i heat wrapped the hot side, and sprayed hi-temp spray on the wrap, and got a turbo blanket. also made sure nothing was in range of hot side pipes. then thats it.

HAD ZERO PROBLEMS!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
i daily drove mine for about a year without too many issues. But then I came to my senses and bought a cheap 4 cylinder beater
haha same here only I bought mine for the winter months. snow sucks!! it dont really get hot enough here to have many heat issues like "down south"

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Never had heat issues even in humid 100 degree weather. No ac in my car so it gets toasty tho. I wonder if twins like I have sort of distribute the underhood heat better than a big single.
Erich

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
i used mine for dd purposes for a while a few things i did like was the heat, it would heat up much quicker with the turbo then without. it was kinda crazy when it snowed out with nitto's it drove fair could have used some snow treads or something. i totally agree with everyone if you can keep your foot outta it you will have some fuel mpg's. its important to wrap the kit if it comes close to the lower radiator hose (i melted one) and pay attention to the clutch cable also (i killed one of those also) other then that it was a feaking blast

1 - 9 of 9 Posts