Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys how many of you have been having luck getting your 700+ rwhp cars to hook on 17" wheels and drag radials? I am mini tubbing my rearend and am torn between ordering 15" or 17" rear wheels and drag radials. My car will be 85-90% Street driven but taken to the track a few times per year. Plan on running a 12" wide wheel and a 325 radial. Just not sure how well the 17" radials hook with enough power to go low 9s or faster.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I saw a foxbody run in Maryland on drag radials, it was a 7 second car. I have the link but it won't let me post it because I don't have enough posts? I will post it as soon as I am allowed to...lol

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
I saw no difference when I switched from 275-15's and 275-17's with the Keene Bell supercharged 306. You might think that doesn't make 700 horsepower (420 rwhp), but I had to pull timing in 1st gear to keep the tires from spinning and I still pulled the front wheels off the ground. That engine had a lot more launching torque than my current 428 W has.

·
Registered
36 Posts
when I had my 04 Cobra, I hooked up as well on my 17" drag radials as I did on my 15" slicks. My 60ft times were 1.48's with either and that was with 650hp to the tires

·
Registered
676 Posts
when I had my 04 Cobra, I hooked up as well on my 17" drag radials as I did on my 15" slicks. My 60ft times were 1.48's with either and that was with 650hp to the tires
Did your ET or MPH change? Always heard radials were a little quicker and faster due to rolling resistance.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
20 Posts
I didn’t have much luck hooking my 460rwhp mini tubbed 88GT with a 315-35-17 Nitto NT05 DR on my 17x11 rim.
Best 60ft was a lame 1.9.

They’ve come out with better rear tires since but I purchased 15’ Hoosier slicks for track use instead.
I haven’t had a chance to return yet and try them.

The short sidewall (35) combined with a manual tranny made hooking difficult for me.
The 315’s look cool on the street though.

·
Registered
676 Posts

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
There used to be a guy in MD that had 17" wheels on a street car and was running 8's on drag radials like 10 years ago..

The electronics, and tire tech (along with just about everything) has gotten so much better these days. I don't think you'd have much issue.

·
Registered
36 Posts
No change in ET?
I went through my time slips from 11yrs ago but they are pretty faded at this point, I had notes on most of them. It seems I was within a few tenths and mph on most runs with the drag radials or slicks, but that was also with a manual trans so I wasn't dead consistent with every run. I went with M/T drag radials 275/50/15 this time around on my 88 notch but haven't got to the track yet. The previous set up was on my 04 Cobra which is long gone now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts