Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Body of post didn't work for some reason..i'll try again...

It only took me about 2 hours to pull the heads off my 97 GT,The hardest part was the PITA drivers side lower head bolts...How hard is it gonna be to put the heads back on? is it easier to pull the engine?

Also where is a good place to get the head gaskets,valve cover gaskets,intake gaskets,and new Torque to yeild head bolts at?
I not gonna mess with head studs on the car,they look to be a REAL pain to install..

Thanks guys,any tips or tricks u can provide for the swap would be great..

Steve

·
Registered
560 Posts
sticky: never go by the companies web page. Always outdated, especially the prices.

·
US Air Force Active Duty
1,941 Posts
1) No, it wouldn't be easier to pull the motor.

2) Use a 1/2" DR deep well socket and breaker bar on the bottom rear driver's side head bolts. Works like a charm.

3) If you're gonna install studs instead of TTY bolts, you'll have to pull the engine out.

4) Ford is the best place to buy gaskets and bolts.

5) It sounds like you already know, but remove and replace the heads WITH the headers attached--assuming you have shorty style headers. Same goes for the dipstick tube--have an assistant (or Padna, if you prefer) maneuver it into place while it's loosely attached (not bolted on, just hanging).

Have fun!

-Pat

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
You can install head studs in the car. All you have to do is stick a couple of the bottom back studs in the heads, hold them in there with some clothes pins, set the head on and tighten the studs down! I guess it isn't to hard! Just my .02

·
Registered
460 Posts
you have to do the same with the back head bolts as well. You have to put them in first before the head goes in. it is a lot easier to do with the engine in the car. Or a lot less work

·
Registered
398 Posts
ARP studs are no more of a pain than TTY bolts. In fact, since you don't have to go through the TTY torqueing procedure, they are actually easier. Stronger, and reusable, too, in case you have to take them out again. Anyway, Gaskets aren't that expensive. Just go to Ford.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I wouldn't think of pulling the engine to do the headswap.......Just place plastic zip strips on those head bolts that you can't pull out of the head and do the same for the ones going back in, get you a good 1/4" knuckle and 8mm socket to remove the valve/cam cover bolts and make sure the dipstick tube is installed when you set the head on the block..............

1 - 7 of 7 Posts