Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
15,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can probably maybe get away with it the way it is for a year, but this boat is definitely going to need the deck replaced. Condition of the stringers and transom are unknown until I start digging into it. I have soft spots on the floors, who knows the extent. The upholstery is dated/falling apart. Would need to get re=upholstered.

There is a whole forum dedicated to this resto stuff on the iboats.com forum that I am reading up on. Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with it. Cost/time involved. How much re-upholstering might run roughly.

Just dreaming about summer. :(

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
Sell that thing before you go dumping $10,000 into it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I re-upholstered my boat last summer. I went to some local shops and was quoted anywhere from $2700 to $4000. There were some shops in the $3200 range that seemed to know what they were doing and had a decent warranty. I ended up using this place Boat Upholstery, Marine Upholstery, Boat Seats - Copycat Covers Basically you take pictures of interior and then pull all your old "skins" (old vinyl upholstery) off and send them in. You can change the colors or have them make an exact duplicate of what you had. They have a five year warranty on materials and labor. Total cost was $1100 and it took them about three weeks. They came back looking amazing and made my boat look brand new. A few tips about these guys. They get very busy in the summer so it takes longer to get it done. While not extremely difficult, removing the old stuff and installing the new stuff is kind of a pain in the ass. I recommend installing one or two pieces a day and take your time. Your fingers and hands will be sore as hell! That $1100 price included replacing literlally every piece of vinyl in my whole boat (18ft Glastron) including side panels.

Stringers are another story. That seems like a major pain in the ass to do. Do you still have a leak in your boat? If it's not too bad you may be able to replace only the actual floor and leave the stringers. What year is the boat? I hope I can get another five plus years out of my boat before I have to worry about the floor. I've heard of guys spending $3,000-4000 on getting new floor and stringers in boats the size of mine.

BTW, I am an #######, don't buy anything from me because I will screw you over.

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
LOL I like this guy's sig and title.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I was going to mention the restoration forum over on iboats but it seems you already have that covered.

doing stringers gets expensive just from the standpoint of the fiberglassing materials you'll need.

try to get as much as possible from walmart or lowes, boating stores just totally rip you off on price because they can claim its "marine" when its the same damn stuff if you read the MSDS on the resins...

·
U.S. Army Active Duty
14,746 Posts
Sell that thing before you go dumping $10,000 into it.
This.

Granted I don't know your boat Dave, but very often it is so easy to spend almost as much if not as much as a new boat on an old boat that you thought only need "a few things."

·
Registered
465 Posts
I'm reupholstering mine right now, just for a refresh/change. So being able to reuse foam, wood and everything, I'm only in it about $250 or so. However, like the other guys said if you have to do transom, stringers, or both even doing it yourself can be costly, and may not even be worth it.

Really reuholstering yourself isn't bad at all. Just time consuming, and gets kinda boring. Depends on how much your time is worth compared to paying someone I guess.

Will

·
15,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I honestly don't know if it needs the stringers or not, won't know until I get the carpet & floor up. On one hand, it may need a bit of interior work, but on the other hand is the cost of buying another whole boat which would rival the condition of this one with a new interior.

Just looking for information from people who actually have some experience with this stuff here, like Will! Thanks for the info. There are a few options out there. I guess I will know more when I tear into it.

·
USAF retired
9,016 Posts
Boat= hole in the water you fill with money.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I replaced the floor and re-upholstered an old Checkmate I had. If you are good with an industrial sewing machine the upholstery isn't too bad. Be prepared to do a lot of fiberglass grinding if you need to replace stringers. It's not too hard but very dusty and messy. Then you will need to be able to lay in some new glass to mount the stringers.

I opted to get the upholstery done on my 30' Baja from a company formed by ex-Baja employees. They re-did all of the upholstery and replaced the rotted wood with a plastic material. The cost was around $4000 but we are talking about a boat worth $30-35k in this market so it was worth the investment. The stand up bolsters have contours that I didn't think I would be able to get to ever fit if I had sewed my own. If I remember the boat you have it may be a little easier to redo.

·
15,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've posted before, but here is the boat in question.

Cabin cushions were all kept inside, they are all in great shape.

Pointless seating arrangement.

I would love to update the cockpit to something modern looking.

Needs speakers.

Good looking boat.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
wow lol. I wonder why the PO went with the cooler seat? those things are expensive compared to some of the cheaper captains chairs with swivel bases...

its not that hard to update the dash. you can use the white plastic board (I think its called starboard IIRC), and brighten up the dash from the old black coverings and then cut in whatever gauges and switch panels you want.

actually here's a pic of mine after I did just that (bad pic I know)

also, if those older quicksilver gauges still work, they are worth some money on ebay.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Are you going to have to do anything with the cuddy cabin, or just the outside?

You should have no problem redoing that by yourself! It looks like a little larger boat than mine, although mine is a bowrider.

I also just used a regular old Kenmore sewing machine, and it's been doing fine. Only problem it had was doing double folded carpet, had to feed it a little slower.

That's not a bad looking boat at all. I'd say if the stringers and transom are in decent shape, go for it!

Will

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
It's a $lippery $lope when you start putting money in a boat.

B - Break
O - Out
A - Another
T - Thousand

I have two Sea-Doos, a Pontoon, a late 60's GW Invader, and a rowboat. We won't even mention the canoe. I speak from experience. <g>

·
Hot Girlfriend Wrangler - Bow Down
1,485 Posts
Dave I take my boat to a guy who runs his business out of his house. His wife does all of the upholstery stuff right there in the garage and he can work on anything mechanical on virtually any size boat with any type of engine. They are real nice people and good ole country folks (hard to find around here!). They are very close to the Holtwood Dam on the Susq River. Short drive from Baltimore:

Fisher's Marine - Custom Canvas
303 Middle River Road
Brogue, PA 17309
(717) 927-6544

1 - 20 of 24 Posts