Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering cause I'm thinking of getting one and supercharging it. But the problem is I'm a computer tech/consultant and I drive all over. I really don't want my car blowing up on me. Don't get me wrong, I completely understand there's a risk but just wanted to know what the average experience was.

Thanks

·
Registered
322 Posts
progresr,
I've got to say it's the best thing you can doto those cars. I've got a '00 Steeda Mustang GT w/ a Vortech V2-SQ supercharger. I've currently got 10,000 miles on it and have not a problem. As long as you put 93 octane and run a conservative amount of boost, you'll be alright.

The only real problem I had was when I powershifted 3rd gear for the first time when it had about 2,200 miles on it and the clutch exploded into 4 pieces. That was covered under warranty though. :D

Just remember, 93 octane and no powershifts.

Btw, I'm from Tampa, FL...;) :joy:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Mine has been pretty reliable so far. The problem is the other stuff that breaks as a result of the change in my driving style :evil: , new clutch and new 31 spline axles. I'm waiting for the tranny to go next. :( The T-45's are a time bomb waiting to go off. :barf:

If you don't mind decreased gas mileage, go for it. It is a lot of fun. Just get a good conservative tune and you will be alright.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I concur for the most part. However, at 40k miles I'm starting to see some problems. I still don't think the fuel system is fixed although Steeda tells me with their new fuel pump, they will also supply a new chip with a very conservative tune. However, add $400 plus the cost of the chip to get it right on top of the blower. The fuel pump with the blower is unstable at best but probably alright if you only drive it on the street.

The clutch is a given. Also assume the rear end too although I haven't changed mine yet. Haven't had tranny problems but I also added a Tri-Ax and I don't powershift.

All this does not cover what I consider the most dangerous of all. The stock suspension cannot safely use the power. When I first got my blower, the only suspension mod on it was a set of Tokicos and Steeda brakes which I understand now are Cobra brakes. The suspension is all over the road under full acceleration. The point is that if you plan on the blower, at least get springs, shocks, cc plates, and absolutely better control arms or torque arm/panhard bar in back. At this point you have just added another $1000-$2000 to the cost of the blower. IMO, do the suspension first, then add the blower.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
killerpony said:
do you guys with the blown GTs eat up almost any other car on the street?
gino
There is always something out there that is faster. With that being said I haven't lost to many street races!

progresr, I honestly drive my car daily but not back and forth to work as I work in downtown Cleveland. If you get a good tune and follow the needed requirements than the car will be fine. Gas mileage may suffer a little:)

·
Registered
493 Posts
killerpony said:
do you guys with the blown GTs eat up almost any other car on the street?
gino
I take out Mini-Vans, School buses and SUV's with ease. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts