Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stock harness is pretty hacked up because I needed to keep somethings, and not others when I installed the speed pro.

Can anyone tell me which wire under the dash will have +12v when the key is turned over, and maintain signal while cranking is occuring, and obviously during run mode.

I have found a couple of wires, but neither hold the voltage while cranking is occuring. Just looking for a wire to to connect my ignition box to.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I connected my ignition box to the fuse box under the hood. There is a post that is 12v that sticks off the side of it towards the motor and the Alternator is connected to. Just put a round connector on the wire and hook it on the post. Hope this is what you were looking for.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
N20D5OH - Thanks,

Here's the problem with that.

There are two 12v wires on most ignition boxes. One to supply the power (usually a heavier read wire), which I have connected to the fuse box underhood (as you mentioned), and the other (smaller red wire) is actually what turns on the ignition when the key is turned over.

Hooking both wires up to the connection you are reffering to would leave the ignition box powered on all the time.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hrm, sorry I couldn't help. I have a 6AL and I'm sure it only had one 12v lead. How about tapping into one of the fuses in the fuse box under the hood? I'm sure a couple of them are swithced. I hate electircal **** and usually get my friends to do that stuff for me. :)

What kind of ignition do you have? And if it's an MSD did you get the wiring harness for it?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a Crane. Normally electrical stuff is straight forward, but my hacked up harness is killing me.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
227 Posts
It's been a few months since I installed my FAST. There's a wire coming off the ignition key. I spliced it at the driver side kick panel. Luckily for me I was removing the alarm and it was already spliced. I used this to turn on a relay that switched my msd and FAST ECU. If you still have the radio harness you can tap that too.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fast4d, Thanks for the reply...do you remember what color the wire was in the kick?

I guess, I just need to pierce a few wires that are in that area, to see which one maintains voltage through the cranking cycle.

Notice you made some good power before FAST, are you going to dyno soon?

Just curious if you have had any low rpm, part throttle tip-in stumble problems?

I have had this problem, ever since I have installed canfields 4 years ago, and even Wayne Young could not completely tune it out with the FAST.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Even if I tell you the color it may not work. Mine is in an '89. You can trace it from the ignition lock or look up in a service manual.

I also have a low rpm stumble it does not like a load below 1800 rpm. I think it due to the cam.

I'm going dyno the 1st time with FAST on sat. Previously dynoed with mass air and a JMS chip for an old combo.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Why don't you just wire it to the solenoid? It's plenty hot while cranking.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm... I would agree that it is hot while cranking, but what about in run mode?

Is the solenoid under power only while cranking, or all the time.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I think the starter side is hot when the key is cranking, but I'm not sure about running. The battery side is always hot since it's really just like hooking to the battery.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts