Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are the best rims to use at the track? what size? 17s?/18s?
if you didnt have a budget which wheels would you get??
this is for a 79-93
post pics if possible thanks

·
Registered
326 Posts
what are the best rims to use at the track?
The widest that will fit under the car.​

what size? 17s?/18s?
If you have 13" rotors, you can use either. With 14" rotors, you'll need 18" rims. In general there's more tire selection in 17" and they're slightly cheaper.​

if you didnt have a budget which wheels would you get??
I'd would use the money for more tires.​

this is for a 79-93
I use 17x9 Ford 95 Cobra R rims (R58's).​

·
Registered
574 Posts
Your '86 fenders probably won't take an 18" wheel but check with others on that (I don't own one and have never tried).

Personally I agree with SteveL1994's statements. Though, if you really have money burning a hole and price is no object, I'm sure there are some really light, trick wheels out there.

I also run the 17X9 R58s, best looking wheel out there (IMO). Also they are cheap, easy to replace, and factory tested (some aftermarket companies have little to no real testing).

Again, if price isn't an object and speed is, get the widest, lightest wheel that will fit under your fender and clear your brake calipers.

·
Registered
463 Posts
well if money is no object, there are some carbon fiber/ magnesium wheels i remember reading about somewhere. i think it was for the zo6 crowd, the wheels were like $1500 each maybe more and a 18x10.5 wheel weighed a whole 8lbs!!!:eek:

i know i know its crazy

·
Registered
644 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a set of 17 x 9 Steeda Ultralites (21 lbs.) and a set of MB Motorsports Competition in 17 x 9 (20.5 lbs). I don't think the Steeda's are available in
17" anymore. I got mine used. The MB Competitions are available at Discount tire for around $160 each if I recall correctly. They are very popular with the NASA and FFR crowd. Cheap, tough, and not bad looking. I've been autocrossing and tracking mine for 3 years with no problems.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The MB comps are the lightest 17x9 I've been able to find in their price range.Another option would be the konig villains (21lb) for 170 each at maximum motorsports.

If anyone knows of a cheap 17x10(or wider, and not the 10.5" replicas) post up! I've been looking forever...

·
Registered
543 Posts
The 5Zigen FN01rC in 17x9 is 18.5 lbs, 17x10 is 19.5 lbs.

...if you dont' mind the import/rice look...

Personally I prefer 16's. . . ..

16x11 Real Racing Wheels (15 lb) on Goodyear slicks.

The rim + tire is 35 lbs.

They fit over Cobra 13" brakes with minor modification.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
The MB comps are the lightest 17x9 I've been able to find in their price range.Another option would be the konig villains (21lb) for 170 each at maximum motorsports.

If anyone knows of a cheap 17x10(or wider, and not the 10.5" replicas) post up! I've been looking forever...
I just saw the MB Comps for the first time. They look pretty good and if they only weigh ~20# or so that seems like a pretty fair deal for $150 each.

There is a thread a few notches down with SC Replicas in 17x10. AM has then for ~$139

Personally I prefer 16's. . . ..

16x11 Real Racing Wheels (15 lb) on Goodyear slicks.

The rim + tire is 35 lbs.

They fit over Cobra 13" brakes with minor modification.

I didn't realize that you could get the real racing wheels to fit on the 13" brakes. What minor modification did you have to do? I would guess that you could get the same fitment from Diamond Racing Wheels as well?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im really leaning tword some ccw right know i have 98 cobras 17x9 but i want a wider wheels in the rear .
i have 275 in front and rear

·
Registered
326 Posts
For occasional track use, having different sized front / rear tires is manageable though still a pain. For serious track use, it is a lot more flexible to keep the same size all the way around.

Some tires are directional so you'll have two left and right side spares if the rims are all the same size. Different sizes and you end up with one spare per corner unless of course you have the budget and room to carry two full sets of spares.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Nice find on the 5zigens. I had looked at them before but for some reason thought they were 250/each.

I just saw the MB Comps for the first time. They look pretty good and if they only weigh ~20# or so that seems like a pretty fair deal for $150 each.

There is a thread a few notches down with SC Replicas in 17x10. AM has then for ~$139
Someone had a thread about them here already and he said they DO NOT clear the PBR calipers, but that a small spacer would make them fit. I'm considering it, but I think the deep dish up front would look odd.

·
Registered
229 Posts

I know the MB will clear cobra brakes but would they clear Brembo's?

·
Registered
543 Posts
I didn't realize that you could get the real racing wheels to fit on the 13" brakes. What minor modification did you have to do? I would guess that you could get the same fitment from Diamond Racing Wheels as well?
Needed to clearance about 2-3 mm off the caliper cooling fins and use a 1/8" wheel spacer.

Not sure about the Diamonds, never tried those.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
17x9 03 Cobras

Unlimited budget.....I'd have a diesel truck and trailer for the track, do more than 3 events a year, and daily drive an M3 instead of a 325i lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts