Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which valve cover gaskets is everyone using with their respective turbo kits. I have vented my crankcase and I thing I am still getting oil leaks from the valve covers. Please let me know! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you referring to the rubber and metal ones?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Resurrecting this thread because my #### still leaks. I have Polished Aluminum valve covers with -10 bungs welded in them with lines run to a breather tank. Using valve cover studs and the ford metal/rubber gasket.

Thinking of using RTV with bolts instead along with the gaskets....

Opinions, experiences?

·
Registered
7,600 Posts
i've been running the same ford one (metal w/rubber) for over a decade now and no issues but i run studs everywhere including valve covers and also have a small torque wrench so that they don't get over tightened as it doesn't take much.

is it always the same area leaking?
if so then that should be either the valve cover or cylinder head surface related, right? (thinking out loud here)

if not than gasket related?
have you tried running a thicker gasket?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seems to always be leaking from the backs of both.
I agree, that it may be an uneven surface...possibly. I put new valve covers on it last year, hoping to solve the problem, to no avail.

I was thinking about using RTV along with the gasket, hoping this solves the problem.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
You should be able to use almost any type of gasket. There isn't really any pressure there, it just has to seal.

Maybe you have a leak at the china wall or where the head meets the intake, or perhaps something is bent or not flat.

Take a CLEAN shop vac and clean hose, put it on blow, and pressurize the breather. Spray or brush soapy water around in back and see where the leak actually is.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good Idea. Will do, hopefully this week when I am off work.

·
Registered
7,600 Posts
i'd buy a small torque wrench as it could be your doing

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did use a torque wrench when I put them on. What is the recommended torque with valve cover studs?

·
Registered
7,600 Posts
i do mine in steps
1st: 5ftlb
2nd: 8-10 if my memory serves me right
3rd: i repeat 2nd step until all are at the same value

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks!

·
Registered
917 Posts
I definitely don’t think pressure is causing the leak, as it’s adequately vented. Like said, must be a uneven surface or torqued too much and sandwiching the metal grommet?

·
Registered
314 Posts
I had to do this to my valve covers. Take your valve covers to a machine shop and have them put on a belt sander to make the sealing surface flat. The Ford metal and rubber gaskets will work fine with out sealer. I have one on my car thats fifteen years old, been off and on too many times to count. I never have any leaks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have the local part store rubber ones I put on in 2006 and no leaks, been turbo a year or so and no v cover leaks. I did black rtv them to v covers and torqued them in steps in cross pattern.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts