Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just told by Pep Boys mechanic that on a rear wheel drive Mustang, the REAR wheels wear quicker than the front because the rear tires propell the car, not the front tires.
I always thought the front tires wear quicker(front OR rear drive) since they do all the turning and handle the brunt of the stopping.
Anyone agree/disagree?

1998 GT Auto
3.27's
Borla Catback
70 MM TB
K&N
Mobil One Synthetic

·
Registered
556 Posts
Front drive cars always wear the fronts out quicker because they do ALL the work, plus FWD cars tend to have more weight over the front end.

Rear drive cars tend to wear tires alot more evenly because the work is split between all the tires more evenly.

However, if you have any sort of Mario Andretti in you, you will certainly wear the rear tires out first on a Mustang! Think burnt rubber smell.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
thats a tough one. The weight distribution on a mustang is 57/43. So the front tires have a lot more weight being applied to them, and they handle a good amount of the braking also.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nah I don't really do many burnouts, but sometimes I'll get pissed and screech them, but even that's difficult with an automatic and 3.27's and limited hp & tq.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Did you get the Futura tires from Pep Boys. Just wondering as I had them on my old '91 and they were pretty decent tires for $100 a piece.

Anyway, for tire wear, I would say your rears will wear out more quickly unless your car is out of alignment. I know that sounds like an obvious statement but I had been watching my tire wear on my front and rear tires and they looked really good from the outside. Took the fronts off to do a brake pad replacement and the front inside edge was worn smooth. Perfectly good pair of tires out the window b/c I hadn't done a simple $65 alignment.

My experience was that my front stock/original goodyear gatorbacks lasted me 45K miles while my rear BFG comp t/a's lasted me half that (rear goodyears both went on the same day with around 25K miles on the clock b/c of a nail too close to the sidewall and a split sidewall when I backed into a curb. Happened on same day. That was a bad day). When I replaced all four a couple mo. ago, they were both at the same tread depth.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BMS,
Yeah, I got the Futura GLS's at Pep Boys 235/55/16, which I've had on the front for 8000 miles now, and they're not showing that much wear at all. Pep Boys say these tires are made by Cooper, thus you're getting a Cooper tire at the Futura price, so they say.
I really thought the front tires would wear out quicker because they have the weight of the engine over them, they do all the turning, and when you brake, all the weight moves forward putting even MORE friction on the fronts. See, I have an antique Chrysler(1967 300 2 dr) and the front tires' edges are all rounded(alignment is fine), while the rears have newer looking/non rounded corners...the car has a front weight bias though.
1998 GT Auto
3.27:1
Borla Catback
70 MM TB
K & N
Mobil One Synthetic

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm sure it also has to do with your driving style. My front tires will last twice as long as my rear tires cause my right foot weighs so much that it hits the floor alot causing the tires to spin and smoke.:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts