Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm moving from FS to STX next season and I'm not sure about which tire to use. I know I probably won't be competitive; I just want to go out and have fun without trashing my street tires. I'm considering the Dunlop star spec and the Hankook R-S3. I'll need a tire that won't need much if any camber input and can handle my pig of a car. Suggestions?

·
Registered
351 Posts
I've heard good things about both tires. In STX you can go up to a 9" rim width, and a 265mm tread, and minimum tread wear of 140.

The Dunlop has a tread wear rating of 200-220 depending on size.
The Hankook has a tread wear rating of 140.

·
Registered
780 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll probably get the Hankooks for cost sake.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Local guys I've talked to at track days (not on Mustangs) are pretty much saying that the Hankooks are a bit faster than the Dunlops in the dry, not as good in the wet, but wear very similarly.

cheers
Ed N.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I heard the same thing about the kooks and that they require more camber than I can dial in right now. Stock is all I can get. I also need to figure out is a taller, narrower tire better or a wider, shorter tire better. 245/45 vice 255/35.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Some people claim that a smaller rim with a wider tire leaves you with more consistent times, where a narrower tire leaves a more connected "feeling".

So by that logic, it'd be best to go with the widest tire you can go with your rims.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Some people claim that a smaller rim with a wider tire leaves you with more consistent times, where a narrower tire leaves a more connected "feeling".

So by that logic, it'd be best to go with the widest tire you can go with your rims.
I'm not sure I've heard that. More feel should be more consistent.

On my Honda, I couldn't tell a difference going from 7" to 7.5" running the 195/50/15 Toyo R1R's, but the difference was HUGE running the 225/45/15 RS3's.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'm not sure I've heard that. More feel should be more consistent.

On my Honda, I couldn't tell a difference going from 7" to 7.5" running the 195/50/15 Toyo R1R's, but the difference was HUGE running the 225/45/15 RS3's.

Similar to Grassroots Motorsports article on having a better "feel" with 18" wheels on thier Honda, but actually went quite a bit faster and more consistant with 17" wheels (same overall diameter). It was actually an SMF Nationals guy (in a Honda) who runs the narrowest wheel that a tire can handle. It's all about the sidewall flex in turns. Wider wheels on the same tire allows less sidewall response.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I think that is a totally different ball game than street tires in Street Touring. You have unlimited wheel size, so there is a point of diminishing returns.

I would probably look at 255/40's on a 17x9 for an STX Mustang. It is going to be pretty close to the 265/35/18's and a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a set of 18x8s that I will use. They are the same set I used in FS. I'm keeping them just in case I ever decide to go back. I haven't been able to find a 17x9 wheel that can offset the cost of buying 17" wheels & tires as opposed to 18" tires alone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts