Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got a '90 Mustang with an '04 Mustang GT steering rack. It was a salvage yard part and it's now starting to leak badly and feel sloppy, so I need to replace it soon. A Cobra R or AGR rack is out of my budget. I liked the feel of the '04 GT rack, so I'll go with another stock replacement for an SN95 application. Do you guys think I'd have better luck with a remanufactured part or another used OEM one?

Are all '99-'04 GT steering racks the same or were there differences over the years? I assume the V6 and GT use a different part?

Is the '94-'98 Cobra rack a good choice, would the later GT piece be better? And if I can find a deal on one, would an '03/04 Cobra rack be best of all?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I have the SN95 rack in my coupe and I bought a reman unit and have had no issues. They have a lifetime warranty which for less than $100 is hard to beat.

Darren

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
They kind of bolt in. You will need a $200 steering adapter that goes where the old rag joint is/was between the steering column and the shaft on the rack. Then you will need to transfer the inner tie-rod ends from the Fox rack to the SN95 and visa versa so you can return that rack as a core. The SN95 inner tie-rods are longer and have metric threads on the end that connects to the outer tie-rod. The threads on the racks themselves are the same.

The benefit of the SN95 rack is it takes more effort to steer the car. This may sound strange but typically the Fox cars are very easy to turn and in high speed cornering this is not desirable at all. Please read on track events here, not F'ing around on the streets. The feed back you get from the SN95 rack is much better than the Fox rack. Some of the guys are even installing the V6 power steering pump pulley as it reduces the over boosted feeling even more. Think BMW steering versus a Fox, the BMW takes a bit more effort but the feed back and ability to control the car is much improved.

Darren

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
I have an 03/04 cobra rack in my 91

·
Registered
8,496 Posts
Is there a difference in SN95 racks between the different models??

I loved the steering in my '03GT, and hate how effortlessly the Fox steering rack is. Feels like a normal passenger car and not a sporty car.

I'd like ot swap in an SN95 rack, but am wondering what to go for?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Do a search on "SN95 power steering rack Jack Hidley". Several threads come up that discuss your question directly and indirectly.

Darren

1 - 8 of 8 Posts