Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im running a on3 performance 70mm kit on a stock bottom end with twisted wedge heads. What spark plug would i need to go with, I have searched and found nothing......

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
You want to run a non-projected tip in forced induction setups. It will allow you to run the widest gap possible (good) with the least risk of spark blowout (bad). They are also much more resistant to fouling if you run a bit too rich.

NGK Forced Induction

R5671-A8 Stock Number 4554, 1 heat range Colder (up to about 600rwhp)
R5671–A9 Stock Number 5238, for 18+psi, 2 heat ranges colder 650+ rwhp
R5671–A10 Stock Number 5820, for race cars.

·
Premium Member
822 Posts

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
sweet thanks. i was worried that running a non resistor plug would cause issues with my megasquirt.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
sweet thanks. i was worried that running a non resistor plug would cause issues with my megasquirt.
I ran 4554's with megasuirt and no issues. I even swapped out eventually to a ls1 COP setup (more sensitve to RF noise) and still had no issues.

I had previously ran a normal projected tip plug and had major breakup issues at higher RPM/boost. The non-projected tip plugs were the only cure-all for me (at the time, I still had the stock ignition).

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I ran 4554's with megasuirt and no issues. I even swapped out eventually to a ls1 COP setup (more sensitve to RF noise) and still had no issues.

I had previously ran a normal projected tip plug and had major breakup issues at higher RPM/boost. The non-projected tip plugs were the only cure-all for me (at the time, I still had the stock ignition).
HMM very interesting, I am having the same problem with spark blow out. I'm using bkr6e plugs and stock ignition minus a crane coil.

Thanks a bunch, now I need to take a trip to the parts store.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok quiet a selection of plugs here.... I put a set of 3924s for engine Break in .. So which one is the best and what gap for tfs twisted wedges and turbo 10lb of boost

·
Registered
186 Posts
For my street/strip car I run an Iridium projected tip plug. Heat range 8. Gapped to .025".

Because my plugs are difficult to access, I don't like to change plugs often and certainly don't want to fool with them at the track after driving to the track. The Iridium plugs hold up very well on the road and at the track.

For a race car application I might consider a different plug.

·
Registered
111 Posts
3923's gapped at .030

Pump gas, straight meth and no water. Haven't changed them in 6 months..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts