Ford Mustang Forums banner

Which replacement fan?

653 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  kbreeze 
#1 ·
I think my low speed fan is not working anymore. It warms up slowly but surely and then when the temp gauge needle reaches the "M" the high speed fan kicks in. What brand and model number is good for replacing the fan? How much and from where? Thanks.

BTW, radiator was flushed, ECT sensor replaced, new 180 stat and water wetter were added and car still reaches the "M" but not as fast as it did before.

#2 ·
I bought the fan from NAPA part number 6651796, I think. It
cost me $72. My car would spend 80% of the time O to R range
until last week the fan motor quit now it it goes deep into the M range. Tried everything you've done, but it's no better. Since the motor over heated I think it might have damaged the engine. I'check the engine oil for signs of antifreeze but there is no sign of that. My concern is that 2 days before the car over heated, I checked the antifreeze and it was perfect. But after the overheating the antifreeze was grey. I dont know why it turned that color.

#4 ·
Whats the deference with the revised ford part and the NAPA motor. The one from NAPA is made by the same company that made it for FORD.

#5 ·
The fan Ford is installing currently is a different design than the original. I'm guessing they redesigned it to prevent the premature bearing failure problem of the old ones. Mine went out before the recall and I installed the Napa motor too. I then had the recall done and the dealer installed the circuit breaker in line with my Napa motor, as well as reimbursed me for the Napa motor. Started to overheat almost right away with the circuit breaker on, but worked fine once I took it out. Went back to the dealer and they gave me a new Ford fan, without the circuit breaker, and everything has been fine since.

#7 ·
let me get this straight.......there is a recall on the stock electric fans for our 94 and 95 GT's?? Does that mean I can go and get a brand new fan from FORD at no charge to me???

#9 ·
yeah I called Ford already. They said I'm not on their magical little list. Even though its the same freagin fan! ****heads!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.