Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to add relay to switch a power output from one device to another.

I currently have my 2 step on a momentary switch in my center console and my Nitrous arming switch on a toggle next to it. (Nitrous is signaled from WOT signal once armed).

I would like to rewire the system so that when armed the power is sent to Nitrous system and when the 2 step momentary switch is activated it interrupts the nitrous signal and powers the 2 step.

Does this make sense?

·
Registered
23,216 Posts
relays have normally open and normally closed contacts

how to you want power to flow?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
relays have normally open and normally closed contacts

how to you want power to flow?
I want power to flow to the NOS Sol and be interrupted by a momentary switch to send power to the 2 step.

·
Registered
23,216 Posts
so you have two signals

you will need two relays and run the power from the nos through NO contacts of the relay it will control, that power will then go through the NC of the other relay controlled by the momentary switch.

the relay controlled by the momentary, will have 2 step power through the NO contacts of its relay

when you hit the momentary that will open the NOS circuit and complete 2 step circuit

you follow?

need a diagram?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so you have two signals

you will need two relays and run the power from the nos through NO contacts of the relay it will control, that power will then go through the NC of the other relay controlled by the momentary switch.

the relay controlled by the momentary, will have 2 step power through the NO contacts of its relay

when you hit the momentary that will open the NOS circuit and complete 2 step circuit

you follow?

need a diagram?
Yes, a diagram would be very helpful.
I was wondering if an relay existed that would switch the power output from one to another?

·
Registered
23,216 Posts
you have 2 independent signals, yes?

you want to use a $$$$ logic controller?

or inexpensive readily avai relays?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I only have 1 signal, the signal for the 2 step.

I want constant power to the nos and I want the 2 step momentary to disrupt the power to the NOS and power the 2 step.

Does such a thing exist?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And no I don't want to go the $$$ if I don't have to.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am thinking like how a high beam relay works in a 4 eye car, turn on headlights and when you click the high beams on it turns off the low beams.

·
Registered
23,216 Posts
Okay, you want the NOS armed all the time

easy

i will try to squeeze time in between miller high lifes

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you sir.

·
Registered
23,216 Posts
does this momentary switch latch, stay on?

do you want to switch power or grounds?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Momentary is help down only while on step. Then released when launching and that is when I want the nitrous to turn on.

I would like to switch power.

·
Registered
23,216 Posts
so you are going to hold down the momentary ?

as soon as you release, you want it off?

this important, so i dont latch it

also PM your email, to send the diagram

·
Registered
195 Posts
I am looking to add relay to switch a power output from one device to another.

I currently have my 2 step on a momentary switch in my center console and my Nitrous arming switch on a toggle next to it. (Nitrous is signaled from WOT signal once armed).

I would like to rewire the system so that when armed the power is sent to Nitrous system and when the 2 step momentary switch is activated it interrupts the nitrous signal and powers the 2 step.

Does this make sense?
Here ya go. Simple dual relay setup with 1 relay acting as the interrupt. I wrote "trans brake button" instead of "2 step" but it will work the same as long as your 2 step button is a 12v source. Diagram attached...

Also, this can be configured in several different ways. This will help you get a picture on what the logic looks like and you can set it up for what works best for you...

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you sir, I'll try and get it wired up this weekend.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts