Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, now that the cooler Fall weather is here... it's race time again! Took my new slicks out last year in the Spring so I'm getting the itch to do some 1/4 mile runs again.

Last year with my mods below, I was able to pull off a 13.5 @ 99mph with a 1.87 60' time. I'm running MT full slicks 15" x 10" x 26". With my 3.73 gears, what a realistic expectation (without powershifting) for a 60' time and ET?

I just wanna make sure I'm in the right range. I guess I can just dump the clutch at 4-5K RPM's as a start with about 15psi in the slicks?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any input guys? I'm hitting the strip this Sat. morning coming up! I want to have realistic expectations.

·
Registered
326 Posts
A friend of mine has an '03 GT as well, he has run a best of 12.56 @ 107.xxx this is with the stock heads and cams and major weight reduction and powershifting. When he initially had mod's virtually identical to yours (he's got 4.10's) he ran 12.7xx's to 12.8xx's with 60' times in the 1.7-1.6 range, if you can hook in the 1.6xx to 1.7.xx 60' range I'd say you can get into the low 13's without powershifting.

The launch is your key as even on your 13.5 run that 1.87 60' time was holding you back from the low 13's, you're making good power you've just got to launch it harder. Launch it as hard as the track will allow, a few of my friends launch their 2v's above 6,000 when track conditions will support it.....Good luck

Peace :cool:

James

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
youve got the right idea, start at 15psi, leave about 5k. you should be able to cut 1.75's and go 13.3'/13.2's

i used to have a 2000gt very similar except 4.10's and it picked up 2mph from jlt cold air and its really frowned upon but i made another 1mph from modding the maf and w/the jlt pulling the headlight was worth 1mph

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I guess I'll experiment with 5-6K RPM launches. It won't be too hard on my car will it? This will only be the 2nd time at the track with these slicks. I think the 1.87' 60' came at a 4,500 - 5K launch. I hope it doesn't bog.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Your car should go low 13's. My buddy's car with pretty much all the same bolt-ons as you went [email protected] on 17" drag radials full weight without powershifting. He powershifted next pass and I believe his 1/8 mile was well ahead of his previous, but he missed 4th gear. Probably would have been near a 13.0-13.1 pass.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
on slicks with that car, is it a stock rear with just gears, 5-6k is a little high, it prolly mayb pulls to 6,000 depending on mods/tune, id stick around 4k and 4500 and mayb run the air pressure round 15psi, and mayb even try a second gear launch, first gear is usally useless in a mustang but fun

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
alot of guys do it, whats wrong with that statement, if u have 4.10s in ur rear u launch out of second, what u think u cant overpower the slicks and spin them even if u do a burnout ha

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmmm... I never heard of starting in 2nd gear. I'll stick with 1st, then slam 2nd, slam 3rd and slam 4th when I cross the traps. The slicks I'll be running are on a 3.73 Eaton Posi rear with 31 spline axles. I guess I'm gonna experiment the following launches with 15 psi:

1. 4,500 RPM's - dump the clutch
2. 5,000 RPM's - dump the clutch
3. 5,500 RPM's - dump the clutch

The other part of this equation is what RPM to shift at? Just after 5K RPM's, I feel the car start running out of steam. With my mods, pulls real hard from 3,500 to approx. 5,000 RPM's or slightly above.

I'm guessing I should shift between 5,200 - 5,500 RPM's to get the most benefit out of the 2-valve 289?

·
Registered
799 Posts
I'd shift it at around 6000rpm or so. It should be making power well past 5000rpms...should actually just be starting to come alive at that point. Launch RPM is really not something someone can tell you since it varies with every car. You just gotta find out what it takes to get the car out of the hole. Since 2v's don't tend to make a ton of torque and you're on an ET Drag, it's probably gonna take a good bit of rpm to get your car moving. You just gotta find that middle ground between bogging and spinning and go from there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts