Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled the pan on my motor and found out its got a High volume oil pump. Is that ok to run in a street car with a C4? I dont want the high oil psi to blow my seals out on my turbo riding around town at a high RPM.

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
I have had both and will share a couple of thoughts, not sure if I have it exactly right.

When you do a "garage" motor build you are generally approximating a lot of clearances in an engine. If clearances are on the tighter side of acceptable it results in a much higher oil pressure. For whatever reason, whenever I have built motors in my garage I have had super high pressure with high volume pumps and subsequently put a standard volume pump in my garage built 331 that used to be in my car (last combo w/ PT78).

Now, I had a professional engine builder do my current motor and he explained it differently. He was extremely meticulous with clearances including having my rods honed slightly (huff honed?) to get the clearance where he wanted it, not just in the acceptable range, I believe he also orderd main bearings that had some suffix that slightly changed their size without a full step change in measurement. He explained that is the "right" way of doing it as opposed to having clearances that are too tight and working around it with a standard volume pump. As he predicted, I have exactly the sort of pressure you would come to expect even with a high volume pump.

I didn't realize how little I knew about building motors until I had a professional build one for me....

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
loose motor.....haha....

Does that mean it has spent time with too many different transmissions attached to its backside?

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought the motor that was already assembled by a machine shop in Tampa. I guess I'm going to run it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts