Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm was about to order the Heavy Duty MMRLCA1's for my 90' LX. However, I am now debating on the XD's (MMRLCA30) instead.

My car is putting down just around 500 rwhp and is driven occassionaly on the weekends. I plan on slowly aquiring the remaining MM parts from the "grip box" list (TA, panhard, coil overs, K-member etc etc....).

My question is do I need the XD's? The car will obviously be built with an emphasis on handling. It will be taken to the 1320 maybe once or twice a year just to see what it will run. I don't street race, so that's not an issue either.

The XD's cost more and I would assume ride quality will be worse than HD's. I'm just not sure which I really need.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
With that kind of HP, I would lean toward the XD's. I went through a set of bushings in the HD's with "every now and then drag strip" appearance's.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
my car is making just over 500hp to the wheels and i went with the heavy duty arms primarily because my car is nothing more than a street machine, no track usage at all.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. I went ahead and ordered the XD versions yesterday. I feel more comfortable having the stronger arms back there.

On a side note, how much improvement did you notice when switching from the stock arms to aftermarket units? Was it mostly straight line traction or is there a noticeable difference in handling as well?

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
My major difference was my corner exits speeds went up because I was able to put the power down and not have the rear tire(s) bounce around like a basketball spiraling in a hoop. :)

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My major difference was my corner exits speeds went up because I was able to put the power down and not have the rear tire(s) bounce around like a basketball spiraling in a hoop. :)
Nice.... I'm hoping to see a good difference in the way the car handles. I've got the 145k mile stock arms on there now. Uppers are just-replaced FMS HD's. Can't wait to do the panhard and T/A...

I also noticed my tires are rubbing on the fenderwells, much farther forward than they should be. This tells me that the stock control arms/bushings are giving way too much and allowing the rear end to sway fore and aft.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts