Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1985 Fox HPDE build. My brake setup will be stoptech 13" front and 11.65" Cobra rear. I have the cobra booster installed. If anyone is running a similar setup I would like to know what MC you are running. I was thinking the 1" bore.

·
Registered
33 Posts
1985 Fox HPDE build. My brake setup will be stoptech 13" front and 11.65" Cobra rear. I have the cobra booster installed. If anyone is running a similar setup I would like to know what MC you are running. I was thinking the 1" bore.
I'm waiting on Wilwood Superlite 14'' front kit to arrive myself & I'm curious about pedal feel once I get mine installed. The '93 Cobra (1'' bore) was on back order at the time I went disc in the rear so I have the 94-95 Cobra (15/16'' bore). Maximum Motorsports suggested to go with the '93 Cobra MC to stiffen up my pedal feel, but the difference between the 2 options really comes down to driver preference... we'll see.

I'll try to report back asap on my end.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A friend of mine runs the 15/16 bore with the brembo setup but he's a cmc race car. I ordered the 93 cobra 1" on MM's advice. Please report back, I will be very interested in your findings.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm running the same setup as you Stoptech 13" front and 11.65" Cobra rear and was unhappy with the squish of a 15/16 bore.
Spoke to the tech team at Maximum about it and changed to the 1 1/16 bore.
BMC-3 Master Cylinder, 1994 GT, 1-1/16" bore, new, 1979-95 Mustang
Using the stock 92 brake booster with it and I've been much happier with pedal feel and travel on track.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
86 Mustang GT, typical Cobra 38mm twin and 13" in front, but 45mm single SSBC/93 Cobra and 10.25" in the rear. Stock 86 booster. First tried the SVO 1-1/8" bore M/C but with little luck (could not get the rears to lock). Pedal feel was fine. Then tried the 93 Cobra 1" M/C with the same results. Not much change in pedal feel and no rear lock. Then I discovered my SSBC manual prop valve was notworking - basically cutting fluid flow to the rears no matter where I set the knob. Learned this after the car was put into resto-mod. In any event, I've moved to StopTech 4-piston 14s up front with typical 11.65 Cobra rears. Keeping the 1" 93 Cobra M/C but upgrading to the 93 Cobra booster. Should be a perfect match given StopTech's design for these cars. No more manual prop valve problems either - also went ABS conversion.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
86 Mustang GT, typical Cobra 38mm twin and 13" in front, but 45mm single SSBC/93 Cobra and 10.25" in the rear. Stock 86 booster. First tried the SVO 1-1/8" bore M/C but with little luck (could not get the rears to lock). Pedal feel was fine. Then tried the 93 Cobra 1" M/C with the same results. Not much change in pedal feel and no rear lock. Then I discovered my SSBC manual prop valve was notworking - basically cutting fluid flow to the rears no matter where I set the knob. Learned this after the car was put into resto-mod. In any event, I've moved to StopTech 4-piston 14s up front with typical 11.65 Cobra rears. Keeping the 1" 93 Cobra M/C but upgrading to the 93 Cobra booster. Should be a perfect match given StopTech's design for these cars. No more manual prop valve problems either - also went ABS conversion.
Cool. I'm running everything the same except 13". The 1" bore MC should be fine. Thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
A friend of mine runs the 15/16 bore with the brembo setup but he's a cmc race car. I ordered the 93 cobra 1" on MM's advice. Please report back, I will be very interested in your findings.
I see you went with the 1'' bore MC, however I'm reporting back since I've been running the 6 piston Wilwood kit (with 15/16'' bore MC) for about a month now. NO "squish" in my pedal feel at all. I honestly cannot feel a difference in pedal feel since the upgrade. I think the main reason is that I upgraded to all stainless steel lines front and back at time of the front brake swap. I'm sure that balanced out the pedal feel & I'm pretty certain I would've gotten some "squish" if I hadn't went to the stainless lines.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I actually returned the 1" and went with the 15/16". I also Swapped all 5 rubber lines with stainless and the pedal feels fine, actually I am very happy with the entire brake upgrade. But I guess I better be for what I $pent on it!

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
I haven't installed my Stoptech's yet, I still have 2 more sets of PBR pads to use up first.

I changed my master cylinder from a 1 1/6" to a 15/16" and am much happier with it. I am running an SN95 booster.

Jamie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts