1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
676 Posts
I have the G Force you show there in black, XL. Got a big pumpkin but even in the XL it's still light and comfortable. Dont think you could go wrong with it.

Reactions: tulowd

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
I usually just buy a motorcycle helmet on clearance; if it meets the ratings, it'll do the job - M or SA rating is adequate. I do go for a full face deal, though - saw a horrifying photo of guy who wrecked a bike without one once. I'll need to buy another one next year. This'll be the third helmet I've had to buy for drag racing. Considering I get ~10 years out of a helmet, that's kind of scary...

·
Registered
137 Posts
A typical motorcycle "m" helmet will not pass tech inspect, needs to be an SA (2015 is now readily available). I use a Bell Sport Mag as I prefer the vision of an open face helmet. It seems like the bells sit a little taller than the G-force helmets so if you're tall like me its something to think about.

Sport Mag

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
A typical motorcycle "m" helmet will not pass tech inspect, needs to be an SA (2015 is now readily available).
This is incorrect. As long as it's Snell rated, a motorcycle helmet is fine for drag racing. The primary difference is viewing window.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Correct, but not all motorcycle or "dot" helmets are Snell. That's all I meant, if you show up with a typical dot motorcycle helmet they will tell you to go home.

·
Premium Member
2,573 Posts
You only get one head and brain assembly. Please do not go cheap on protecting the most important asset you have. Buy the BEST protection that you can afford.

Reactions: JPX

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
I have a giant head and my previous helmet gave me claustrophobia as it crushed my cheeks even though it was correct for my melon top. I am thinking open faced - I like that the Bell comes in multi XL sizes. Any drawback to an open faced unit? Any issues with tech?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I believe anything quicker than a 10.00 requires a closed face helmet (check the NHRA rule book). Other than that it's personal preference and how comfortable you are with your face being exposed. I prefer it for visibility reasons.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
I believe anything quicker than a 10.00 requires a closed face helmet (check the NHRA rule book). Other than that it's personal preference and how comfortable you are with your face being exposed. I prefer it for visibility reasons.
"any car running 14.00 and quicker in the 1/4 mile requires a Snell 2005 or newer OR SFI 41.1A helmet (see complete list below)". Also a new NHRA rule in 2008 requires that "any car running 9.99 or quicker in the 1/4 mile requires an NHRA approved FULL face helmet with visor.
You are correct, thank you.

·
Premium Member
2,573 Posts
I agree with this. What do you use?
This...about $675.00 I like that it came set up for a Hans device, which I use.

·
Registered
261 Posts
SNELL SA helmets differ in three main areas from M

1) multiple impact testing
2) Eye opening size
3) Fireproof/resistant interior

I have never worn an open face helmet for ANY motorsport. Visor is also crucial for eye protection; from my open wheel F2000 lapping days. Eating the steering wheel or having car parts slap your face may improve your beauty scale, but boy it would hurt; dental work not included.

I would also look at the helmet weights, as those make a huge difference on physical exertion and can obviously create more stress on the neck muscles etc. When I changed my full face snowmobile helmet to a motocross style, it saved almost 50% of the mass.

Recently bought a Racequip flat black full face that is about a third lighter than my old Bell Star fullface. Would like to get a Simpson Bandit or Arai GP style next. really BIG Bux, so for the 5x a year its gonna have to wait a little.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have been looking at the Impact "Champ" which seems to have solid reviews and is made in the USA. I just can't seem to find a helmet that really stands out if that makes sense. I haven't seen any real data or anything to push one helmet over the other.

I was hoping to find something like the technology in 6D moto helmets:
Innovation | 6D Helmets

1 - 15 of 15 Posts