Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the dorman contour fans from rock auto. The DCC is out of the question. Flex a lite has controllers ranging from $75 to $175. The dakota digital looks good but at $120 plus the $30 relay you need. Then i need to buy all the wiring. Im new at this and want to buy everything i need all at once. My head is spinning someone's gotta point me in the right direction.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
Flex A Lite controllers are largely junk from what I have tested. They will run your fan, but are poor designs. Their soft start controller is not soft start at all, it is a solid state switch that switches hard. Their PWM controller runs at such a low switch mode frequency it just hammers the fan motor and the electrical system.

If you want one, I have two.

I have not tested a Dakota Digital. I have Derale controllers in my car. One runs my water pump, one runs my fan.

Relays are cheap if you stay away from car parts vendors. I have all the relays you need for about $5 each, or you can buy them from Mouser. You can also get them from McMaster Carr, but more expensive.

I expect the Dakota Digital might possibly be a good unit, but I have not tested one.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have part #'s for the derale?? And is it a complete package or would i need more stuff??

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Had a flex-a-lite in my old '93 before I traded it. Kept the car for nearly 6 years, put close to 140,000 miles on it (5.0). The fans and controller worked fine. Dorman replacement contour fan. FAL 31163 is what I used. Looked hard at DCC; but at the time they were backlogged several MONTHS. My neighbor bought one and waited almost 4 months for a controller and while it was nice and worked excellent, between the order placement and it's showing up on the doorstep, there was zero communication in that 4 month time period. He did not know if he was going to get a part or not, and that is why I didn't purchase. That is a case where a product's quality is top notch but customer service is poor and that is what people remember about a purchase.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
Do you have part #'s for the derale?? And is it a complete package or would i need more stuff??

I chose the Derale because I wanted battery load management. I wanted a **true** PWM controller that only loaded my electrical system the amount required for cooling.

What are your goals? What are you trying to do?

PWM Controllers : PWM Fan Controller, Push In Probe

It comes complete with the exception of a relay, but in most installations a relay is not required. Without a relay it will run the fan until cool. After cool it will shut off and draw very minimal current, no more than a dash clock.

I tried a few controllers and several were fake. They did not do what was claimed. I did not try a Dakota Digital.

·
Registered
472 Posts

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
no idea the technical side of the flex a lite controllers, but i know mine has worked excellent for the last 5 years. this was in Florida & Texas, never had an over heating issue. i bought the cheapest one.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
I have used this flexalite controller with good results. I currently have one on a 67 Dart and an 89 Mustang.

Flex-a-lite Variable Speed Controllers 33054 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing
That particular controller is rough as heck on the fan motor and electrical system. They use a pulse rate below 50 Hz.

It rattles the fan windings, and loads the electrical system with high current pulses. The slow pulse speed lets the motor winding kick back voltage pulses.

I'm not saying it won't run the fan and make some people happy, just that it is rough on stuff compared to a proper design.

If you want one of those things, I'll sell you an almost new one for $50. I'm pretty sure I still have a couple.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I bought the dorman contour fans from rock auto. The DCC is out of the question. Flex a lite has controllers ranging from $75 to $175. The dakota digital looks good but at $120 plus the $30 relay you need. Then i need to buy all the wiring. Im new at this and want to buy everything i need all at once. My head is spinning someone's gotta point me in the right direction.
Why are DCC controllers out of the question?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I chose the Derale because I wanted battery load management. I wanted a **true** PWM controller that only loaded my electrical system the amount required for cooling.

What are your goals? What are you trying to do?

PWM Controllers : PWM Fan Controller, Push In Probe

It comes complete with the exception of a relay, but in most installations a relay is not required. Without a relay it will run the fan until cool. After cool it will shut off and draw very minimal current, no more than a dash clock.

I tried a few controllers and several were fake. They did not do what was claimed. I did not try a Dakota Digital.
Its just a stock 93 for now. i bought a AE138 radiator and pullies and contour fans. what is the difference with the cheaper Derale 16789? push in probe vs the thred in? does the thermostat already have the provision for the thread in???? is one better than the other?

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
I dont have the time to wait. Its nice out now and need the car back on the road
Which controller do you want? I have one im not going to use now. I can sell it to you and you will have zero wait time.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I run a Dakota digital in my Supercharged Harley F150, I highly recommend it, simple design, simple install if you take the time to think about it, doesn't get exposed to heat under the hood, no temp probe BS, runs off of coolant temp sensor used by an aftermarket electric gauge, it's pre programmed for common gauges but I recommend you calibrate it yourself, super easy to do, you calibrate the gauge off of the Dakota unit and program on and off temps for each fan. $120 and an extra $30 isn't bad for price either, I can't say enough about it.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
My soft start flex a lite controller works great. It comes on very slowly before it ramps up. Runs at various speeds, whatever it needs too. Awesome functioning piece. I have this Flex-a-lite Variable Speed Controllers 31163 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing with a Black Magic Extreme fan. Been on the car since 2010/2011. Couldn't work any better.

ETA: Push in probes suck. That's another reason I purchased what I did above. Comes with the adaptors and I drilled/tapped the factory water neck.

·
Dean Scheidt
3,423 Posts
I've been using the FAL 31163 with my Taurus SHO fan for several years now and it works great. As stated above, I also drilled/tapped the thermostat housing for the probe. Again, awesome setup that I would highly recommend.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
FAL 33054 on 3 mustangs over the years. Each one worked flawlessly, including my cuurent one for 3 years now.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Anybody try out the Ron Francis Ice box controllers. Also what is a better setup Relays temp sensor or a controller. Having a hard time choosing sorry for high hacking your thread

1 - 20 of 31 Posts