Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting the best bang for my buck. My choices are the SN95 body either the 5.0L in the 94-95 years or the 96-98 4.6L. A few of the 5.0L cars I am considering already some mods like heads and/or intake so they already have inj, Pro M or C&L MAF and upgraded fuel pump should I reuse that or get new higher capacity inj and fuel pumps? Is the stock cam better or does the F cam or TFS cam improve the turbo performance? I have read lower numerical gears like 3.27 are good for turbos but will 3.73 hurt performance dramatically?

One of the 4.6L I was looking at has the newer PI motor and the other has a 98 4.6 4v Cobra swap, and disadvantages with any of the 4.6L's? I want to keep the bottom end stock and leave the top alone if I can but hoping to get into the high 12's, have DD driveability (only warm weather driving) and keep the mpg's good.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Best motor

Put rods and pistons in the cobra swap that is the best for turbo if your goal is a street strip car also more streetable.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Put a bottom end in the 4.6 with higher lb springs in the heads and its ready for a lot of boost and power. The 5.0 blocks want to bust after 500whp or so.

·
Registered
752 Posts
yep, i love SBF's and thoroughly enjoy my loud, agressive 302 right now. but i'm doing a DOHC swap in the future.

can't beat the driveability and efficiency. it worries me hitting the highway for more than 45 min with my current setup.

·
Registered
188 Posts
If you are looking for a 12 street car, do the 4V car and leave the motor stock. A lightly boosted 4V (any year) can safely do 450 whp reliably.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The Poster just wants high-12's and to keep the engine stock. For that, you don't need a TON of horsepower and EITHER engine will work but the 5.0/302 will be cheaper to do.

The PI and 4V 4.6L are both huge improvements over the NPI (96-98). If you plan on boosting and staying stock-block ... go with whichever is cheaper. If you evenetually build it up more ... 4V would be pretty sweet. It will make more power but the bottom-end is going to give out at the same level as the PI.

·
Registered
268 Posts
got me a explore 5.0 short block for 50 bucks just sayin.....

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
If budget is your concern, do a 302 and throw junkyard shortblocks at your turbo kit if you want to go fast, 12s is very easily done without boost, let alone with.... 6-8psi on either engine will get you well beyond your goals and live a happy life.

·
Registered
393 Posts
You may only want 12's now or 450hp etc etc but that lasts about..a week?

Go big from the start because you'll always wanna do a little bit more and a little faster it's a progressive disease..

built 4.6 4v + T76 and hold the hell on

·
Registered
994 Posts
4V then 5.0 then 2V would be the route I'd go.

·
Registered
28 Posts
We have great luck with push rod 5.0 turbo set ups... We have a 1992 gt full weight car with completely stock motor a/c,p/s..... S366 turbo and a Manuel body c4 the car has been consistant high 10s for 2 years now... This is on a 275 radial and tuning with a pms..... Car is tagged and very driveable

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Do a 5.0 and when the need arises for more power swap in a 5.8.

4.6 only needs arp bolts for around 600rwp from what most are saying (I'm not really a mod fan lol)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts